Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New tank setup- help

Hey guys,

This is sort of a continuation from another thread but here it goes. I've just finished setting up my 25 gallon saltwater tank. There's what I believe to be kenya tree coral on apiece of live rock I bought. There's also a greenish looking coral on there as well (photos attached) I've seen them at petco before but I can't remember the name so maybe someone can help. Also wondering if my powerhead placement is correct in my tank for the corals? There's also 3 damsels and 2 emerald crabs. It's a straight upgrade from a ten gallon nano. IE: no new livestock has been added yet. Frankly I'm not sure if my tank can support any more. As you can see from the pictures, I've got a coral life 48 watt T5 fixture that has one 10,000K daylight and one actinic blue light. I'm also running a hob filter, but I'm not sure if this is needed; looking for some guidance with that. This is my first larger saltwater tank so the lighting and filtration thing is a little new to me as its it's less of a concern on a nano tank. In fact I never had a skimmer on my nano tank, but I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction of which one to buy if I in fact need one for this tank; not sure if a hob only will do it. Also, as a sort of random question, can I keep this light fixture over open water or do I need a glass top? I have one laying around if anyone thinks I should use it. Thank you from a newb!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403575476444.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	241227   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403575539457.jpg
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	241228  

Name:	1403575579230.jpg
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	241229   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403575806749.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	241230  

Old 06-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Forgot the picture of the lights.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1403576265217.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	241231  

Old 06-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I believe your tank could support more however you would defiantly want to add more rock before. Live rock is truly one of the most important parts of reef aquaria, and would be higher on priorities than a skimmer.

As for the glass top, while it is not necessarily needed for the light, it will help with evaporation control.

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I completely agree! And that's why I ask for help when I'm not sure on something. Looking at this tank and realizing I have the ocean in my house is incredible to me.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Still curious about the filtration though!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's an incredible opportunity to be able to own these environments. And I'm glad you really appreciate it for what it is.

As for the filtration, the live rock is going to be the majority of your biological filtration, and is the most essential.

The HOB will defiantly help, not only will it supply more water movement, but is a decent way to run chemical filtration, such as carbon, or phosphate removers.

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply
Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know that hob filters use activated carbon, but how exactly can you use it to remove phosphates? I'm assuming that requires something other than an activated carbon cartridge or filter bag. That makes me sound like I don't know anything but I figured it was worth asking.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I guess what I'm getting at, is will I be able to keep it clean with the setup I have taking into account the future incorporation of rock.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everyone starts out somewhere, no one just immediately knows this stuff. It's to better to ask and learn than to risk the lives of these organisms your taking into your care. So don't be afraid how it will look it you have a question.

For removing phosphates I prefer to use phosgaurd by seachem. It's effective and clean. Although there are many other medias. You can also get sea gel which is carbon and phosgaurd together, and is what I would run in the filter.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's truly a question that would be hard to answer, as of right now if water changes are kept up, and over feeding isn't a problem most likely. However a skimmer down the road if you want to add more fish, or maybe an upgraded HOB wouldn't be a bad idea.

Tags
new tank, new tank setup, setup, tan, tank, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com