New tank setup- help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AZdogpatch06

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

This is sort of a continuation from another thread but here it goes. I've just finished setting up my 25 gallon saltwater tank. There's what I believe to be kenya tree coral on apiece of live rock I bought. There's also a greenish looking coral on there as well (photos attached) I've seen them at petco before but I can't remember the name so maybe someone can help. Also wondering if my powerhead placement is correct in my tank for the corals? There's also 3 damsels and 2 emerald crabs. It's a straight upgrade from a ten gallon nano. IE: no new livestock has been added yet. Frankly I'm not sure if my tank can support any more. As you can see from the pictures, I've got a coral life 48 watt T5 fixture that has one 10,000K daylight and one actinic blue light. I'm also running a hob filter, but I'm not sure if this is needed; looking for some guidance with that. This is my first larger saltwater tank so the lighting and filtration thing is a little new to me as its it's less of a concern on a nano tank. In fact I never had a skimmer on my nano tank, but I was hoping someone can point me in the right direction of which one to buy if I in fact need one for this tank; not sure if a hob only will do it. Also, as a sort of random question, can I keep this light fixture over open water or do I need a glass top? I have one laying around if anyone thinks I should use it. Thank you from a newb!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1403575476444.jpg
    1403575476444.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 1403575539457.jpg
    1403575539457.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 1403575579230.jpg
    1403575579230.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 1403575806749.jpg
    1403575806749.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 124
Forgot the picture of the lights.

Attachments

• 1403576265217.jpg
    1403576265217.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 104
I believe your tank could support more however you would defiantly want to add more rock before. Live rock is truly one of the most important parts of reef aquaria, and would be higher on priorities than a skimmer.

As for the glass top, while it is not necessarily needed for the light, it will help with evaporation control.

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply

I completely agree! And that's why I ask for help when I'm not sure on something. Looking at this tank and realizing I have the ocean in my house is incredible to me.

Still curious about the filtration though!

It's an incredible opportunity to be able to own these environments. And I'm glad you really appreciate it for what it is.

As for the filtration, the live rock is going to be the majority of your biological filtration, and is the most essential.

The HOB will defiantly help, not only will it supply more water movement, but is a decent way to run chemical filtration, such as carbon, or phosphate removers.

Aquariums are ecosystems we are privileged to own, and should be treated with the full level of care we can supply

I know that hob filters use activated carbon, but how exactly can you use it to remove phosphates? I'm assuming that requires something other than an activated carbon cartridge or filter bag. That makes me sound like I don't know anything but I figured it was worth asking.

I guess what I'm getting at, is will I be able to keep it clean with the setup I have :) taking into account the future incorporation of rock.

Everyone starts out somewhere, no one just immediately knows this stuff. It's to better to ask and learn than to risk the lives of these organisms your taking into your care. So don't be afraid how it will look it you have a question.

For removing phosphates I prefer to use phosgaurd by seachem. It's effective and clean. Although there are many other medias. You can also get sea gel which is carbon and phosgaurd together, and is what I would run in the filter.

That's truly a question that would be hard to answer, as of right now if water changes are kept up, and over feeding isn't a problem most likely. However a skimmer down the road if you want to add more fish, or maybe an upgraded HOB wouldn't be a bad idea.

Every aquarium is different monitoring nutrient levels is really the only way to tell

Sweet! I just looked that up on Amazon. I'm thinking I could probably put one of those filter bags and put it in the hob along with the activated carbon cartridge. I'm just hoping I can keep my tank clean via said hob filter ; that's why I was wondering about a skimmer earlier. I've been told that because of the way saltwater is, I should go wet dry or even canister along with a skimmer because my little old hob isn't going to do it!

Use one of those filter bags*** my typing skills are not on partying at the moment.

*on par. Goodness..

A wet dry would defiantly be ideal, and skimmers are great additions, however HOB can work it will just limit you greatly. I would suggest upgrading if you wish to add more.

On that note, how are they limited compared to other filters? Thanks for all the advice!

No problem, well there are many factors that make them less effective, they can generally hold less media, and your very limited of which medias to use. Then out of theses medias they don't utilize them to there full potential by causing water to flow around them, and not through them.

So for example in a wet dry or canister you can use many different types of media? Also, if I invest in a protein skimmer, which I most likely will because I want more coral, do I need to keep the hob on there?

Yeah, you always want to make sure you have strong filtration in all three categories, biological, chemical, and mechanical. After the upgrades are made I wouldn't worry about the HOB it would make a minimal difference and just take up space

I've experimented with a protein skimmer in my previous ten gallon nano tank. I eventually returned it because the tank was too small. Also because I couldn't get my tank lid back on as it was an in tank model. The one I'm looking at now is also an in tank model, and I'd like to keep my glass top to prevent evaporation, but I wouldn't know how to make it all fit with a skimmer. Problems, problems, problems! Any tips?

Back
Top Bottom