Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm so jealous! lol every tank I think is a build in progress. My 55g is still getting stuff added and even thinking hardware upgrades too.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just really want tangs, I figured go big or go home. Lol, I want to make sure that I am responsibly keeping my livestock and not crowding them.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I will have a tang. In fact the 125g is really just for that reason. lol I've been tempted to put a yellow one in my 55g but the tang police and my own judgement stopped me. I do believe i can add a yellow eye tang to the tank but again, I'm hesitant.....

I love having the one 125g, I can pretty much not worry about what I put in. I only have 20 fish in the fw now. lol But still leaves me plenty of room.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm beginning to think that halides may be the way to go for an eight foot tank. Maybe four large lamps mounted inside the canopy. Would that be feasible and still support corals and inverts?
Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Oh, you have the canopy! That opens a whole world if possibilites! You need one of the light experts for that! mr x helped me tremendously with my lighting needs and questions.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes there is a canopy, I also have a 55 gallon tank I am going to make into a sump if it is large enough. I found out the tank is 240 gallons, so my total volume would be 295. This is going to be awesome.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I sent Mr. X a pm and asked him to have a look when he gets a chance. I'm sure he will have some viable solutions.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I would get a chiller along with the halides as they will heat your tank up. Why I keep posting about LEDs. The LEDs don't need a chiller. You might get away without a chiller with florescent, but watch your heat buildup.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
that's not necessarily true. i've used halides for years and didn't need a chiller, as did many people i know.
i don't know why so many people on this forum think you definitely need a chiller with halides.
you can use t-5s, halides, or LEDs to light that tank. it's all a matter of money, and personal preference.

as for your questions, yes, one overflow is all you need.
power heads will depend on what corals you intend to keep, and also how much you are willing to spend.
my favorite power heads would have to be the vortechs. i would use 3 mp40s on that size tank. if you want/need to go cheaper the koralia magnums will work, but are considerably larger. a few of the 6's and 7's should work.

the 65 gallon would be fine for qt purposes.
what are the exact dimensions of this tank? how much room do you have inside the canopy?
what are you using for a sump?
Old 04-30-2011, 10:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I will try to answer all of your questions Doug.
The new tank is 8x2x2.
I didn't measure, and I will verify, I believe I have about a foot between the tank the canopy.
I am wanting to turn an empty 55 gallon into a sump, if it would be large enough for the new DT.
As far as inverts I want, this is my list:
Brain corals
Zoas
Clams
Bubble tip anemone
I am open to suggestions as I am new to keeping inverts, so hardy is good. I do know that this is not an over night project. I anticipate this to take a couple years to get the way I want it. I am wanting to look into DIY rock as well if you have any tips. The only animals I plan on introducing after the cycle are my two perculas, midas blenny, and flame hawk. I'm not sure how long I should wait before introducing inverts. I would like my final stock list to look something like this:
The fish mentioned above that I already have.
2 Orange shoulder tangs
1 regal blue tang
3 yellow tangs
1 mandarin dragonet (I know not to introduce it until the tank is well matured)
A school of chromis if that wouldn't be over stocking. I am more than willing to be patient, and I am very open to suggestions as I will admit when I am wrong about something.

Again, thanks for all the help in advance.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com