New Tank! soon....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Purevil21

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short, there is a large wholesale aquarium store in Lakeland, FL. I was just browsing and stumbled across a 250 gallon with stand and canopy for 1400 bucks, I put it on lay away! I also placed a 5 stage RODI system on hold with it. I hope to get it in two months, but now I am trying to plan for the new monster. I have a few questions about it.

1) It only has one overflow, is that acceptable for a tank of that size if I intend to keep a reef?

2) What size and how many power heads should I need?

3) The largest tank I have kept is my current 65 gallon fowlr. I have never kept any particularly large fish. I am planning on a couple of Orange shoulder and a regal blue tang in the new tank. If I purchased them relatively small, would my 65 gallon be sufficient for QT purposes?

4) What kind of lighting would I need to keep corals and anemones in a tank of that size?

As always, any advice is appreciated.

Umm I am directionally challenged but where is lakeland from say orlando?

I know I added nothing to the thread but you got me excited, wholesale aquariums in Florida and not in Miami? WOOT

Nolans Aquarium in lakeland, lakeland is between Tampa and Orlando off of interstate 4.

He has some larger aquariums for cheap. Even for a custom order it wasn't bad, he priced a 180 gallon with dual overflows and furniture for 1300.

Wow some good deals to be had. That's be like a 2 hour drive I think maybe a tad more. lol I'm just in the market for a 125g. :)

Thanks for the response.

I believe I saw a 125 with stand and canopy for 899, don't quote me on that.

Wow that is gonna be something! Guess you'll be hanging lights or going with multiple sets. i can't wait to see this build thread!

My wife is getting it for me, lol. I knew putting her through nursing school would pay off one day. My mind is racing with livestock options! I know for a fact that I want a pair of Orange shoulder tangs, and I am thinking I will end up hanging metal halides because I want to keep a clam and some anemones. I know this build will take years not months.

I'm so jealous! lol every tank I think is a build in progress. My 55g is still getting stuff added and even thinking hardware upgrades too.

I just really want tangs, I figured go big or go home. Lol, I want to make sure that I am responsibly keeping my livestock and not crowding them.

I will have a tang. In fact the 125g is really just for that reason. lol I've been tempted to put a yellow one in my 55g but the tang police and my own judgement stopped me. I do believe i can add a yellow eye tang to the tank but again, I'm hesitant.....

I love having the one 125g, I can pretty much not worry about what I put in. I only have 20 fish in the fw now. lol But still leaves me plenty of room.

I'm beginning to think that halides may be the way to go for an eight foot tank. Maybe four large lamps mounted inside the canopy. Would that be feasible and still support corals and inverts?

Oh, you have the canopy! That opens a whole world if possibilites! You need one of the light experts for that! mr x helped me tremendously with my lighting needs and questions.

Yes there is a canopy, I also have a 55 gallon tank I am going to make into a sump if it is large enough. I found out the tank is 240 gallons, so my total volume would be 295. This is going to be awesome.

I sent Mr. X a pm and asked him to have a look when he gets a chance. I'm sure he will have some viable solutions.

I would get a chiller along with the halides as they will heat your tank up. Why I keep posting about LEDs. The LEDs don't need a chiller. You might get away without a chiller with florescent, but watch your heat buildup.

that's not necessarily true. i've used halides for years and didn't need a chiller, as did many people i know.
i don't know why so many people on this forum think you definitely need a chiller with halides.
you can use t-5s, halides, or LEDs to light that tank. it's all a matter of money, and personal preference.

as for your questions, yes, one overflow is all you need.
power heads will depend on what corals you intend to keep, and also how much you are willing to spend.
my favorite power heads would have to be the vortechs. i would use 3 mp40s on that size tank. if you want/need to go cheaper the koralia magnums will work, but are considerably larger. a few of the 6's and 7's should work.

the 65 gallon would be fine for qt purposes.
what are the exact dimensions of this tank? how much room do you have inside the canopy?
what are you using for a sump?

Ok, I will try to answer all of your questions Doug.
The new tank is 8x2x2.
I didn't measure, and I will verify, I believe I have about a foot between the tank the canopy.
I am wanting to turn an empty 55 gallon into a sump, if it would be large enough for the new DT.
As far as inverts I want, this is my list:
Brain corals
Zoas
Clams
Bubble tip anemone
I am open to suggestions as I am new to keeping inverts, so hardy is good. I do know that this is not an over night project. I anticipate this to take a couple years to get the way I want it. I am wanting to look into DIY rock as well if you have any tips. The only animals I plan on introducing after the cycle are my two perculas, midas blenny, and flame hawk. I'm not sure how long I should wait before introducing inverts. I would like my final stock list to look something like this:
The fish mentioned above that I already have.
2 Orange shoulder tangs
1 regal blue tang
3 yellow tangs
1 mandarin dragonet (I know not to introduce it until the tank is well matured)
A school of chromis if that wouldn't be over stocking. I am more than willing to be patient, and I am very open to suggestions as I will admit when I am wrong about something.

Again, thanks for all the help in advance.

Back
Top Bottom