new tank suggustions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam petty

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right here it goes. Im looking to upgrade my small wall hung marine tank to probally a 4ft tank. With live rock live sand and corals and fishes. No put much thought into stock yet as i want this tank to be ready for anything regarding as equipment goes. Light filters. Protein skimmers, wave makes etc.
Any suggestion are welcome.
Thanks

Right here it goes. Im looking to upgrade my small wall hung marine tank to probally a 4ft tank. With live rock live sand and corals and fishes. No put much thought into stock yet as i want this tank to be ready for anything regarding as equipment goes. Light filters. Protein skimmers, wave makes etc.
Any suggestion are welcome.
Thanks

Everything you're asking about depends on what you want to keep. If reef what types of coral? Different coral need different amounts of light, different amounts of water flow, and can tolerate different levels of nutrients. What type of fish? Lightly, moderately, or heavily stocked?
You're right in making sure you choose good equipment first, but you also need to have a base plan for your stock.

Right ok so i should make up a stock list first then? Im looking for losts of bright colours. And my tank to run by it self really as just the basic maintence water changes etc. Do i go with a sump system. Or just live rock as my only filter system with plenty of flow? Or canister filter? Want to stock quite heavily if i can

Well it sounds like you already had a saltwater tank if I'm reading right, so you know there's no such thing as maitenance free. Testing often is always a good idea, water changes, cleaning of filters or filter socks or skimmers.

I'm running a four foot tank. I have a sump with filter sock and an in sump protein skimmer. I have lots of live rock as well. I have a power head and return pump. Depending on what corals you want, you may need more.

If you want corals besides softies, than you'll need strong light. There was a recent thread on reef lighting where many people recommended taotronic LEDs. Very cheap considering their output.

The more heavily you stock, the more waste, the more maitenance you will have to do. Since you are planning on a reef, you are more limited on your fish options, but there are still A LOT of choices.

Cool will at the moment i been doing this for 7 months. So i bought a wall hung aquarium which is 40liters.
Got live rock in there
Eiehm 2008 sponge filter 300lph
Power head 900lph
200w heater
Lights i have 3 aquabeam 600
1 is solid blue
2 are whites and blues mixed.
Stock
2 wild clowns
1 royal gramna
3 hermit crab
4 turbo snails
Mushroom coral
Zoa coral.
So as i got a bug for this now i want to go bigger 4ft tank, for a new home for my fish i got now cause they not going to like it in there much longer. Ive been looking on ebay for new tanks and if i was to buy a new tank it seem alot of work to get it working with a sump as i would have to cut hole in the main tank and plumbing.

Oh sorry :(

Maybe you could email marineland support and ask them if they have suppliers in UK or if they ship there... Good luck

Ok thank you been looking at those taotronics and would the fit in a canopy or just hung from ceiling and read reports they are noisey.
Which is not goid as the tsnk will be going in my living from so minimuim noise is key for me.

deep blue has drilled tanks as well. not sure what's available in the UK. Setting up a sump is a little more work initially, but makes things easier long term.
People on this site rave about taotronics, most do not have problem with noise, and if they do, they replace fans.
Reefbreeders also has units similar, but they are US based.

Aww right ok thank u for ur advice. Most of the tanks around my way in lfs are 4ft with t5 lighting will this do as welk as my aquabeams if i can somehow fit them in the hood too. Also they dont come drilled just a boxed of bit of the tank with the filter and heater in there. I was thinking would it be enough filtration with loads of live rock couple of power heads and a good skimmer this should work wouldnt it?

That's what I have in the same size tank, works for me! Can't skimp on water changes tho, I do 15% weekly. I also purchased all live rock from the start, costs more but worth it for this set up...

Back
Top Bottom