New Tank Troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

demodiki

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having some bad problems. First, the sump was leaking. I can't figure out from where...but I definitely have a leak. Then, trying to get the sump out off the stand...I jerk around my plumbing and...you guessed it, the bulkheads start leaking.

So...I have this tank which needs to have rock and critters placed tomorrow! I figure I can keep the water level low enough so that it does not overflow. I have ordered a new sump which should be ready for pick up on Wednesday. I will, of course, probably need to redo my plumbing to accommodate the new sump.

The wife is being very understanding which scares me more than if she were really mad. Thoughts? How the heck can I stop the bulkheads from leaking? It seems a very little but I have tightened them up as much as I can.

TIA

Are your bulk heads going through glass or plastic? Do you have the rubber gasket on the correct side of the bulkhead....does your bulkhead have 2 gaskets or just one? what is your sump made of? Is your plumbing PVC? Did you glue your plumbing together? Can you get some pics of your set up posted?

The bulkheads are going through glass.
I hope the gasket is on the right side...it is "in" the aquarium.
They only have one gasket.
The sump is acrylic but I am getting a custom one built..shoul dbe here on Wednesday.
I glued the plumbing together.

So your tank is drilled on the bottom? Was there anything in the overflow that could have gotten in the way of the gasket keeping if from making a good seal? Usually when that rubber gasket is seated and the bulkhead is tightened up it wont leak...The gasket should be on the side of the bulkhead that tightens down ie...the "nut side" of the bulkhead. The bullkheads I use have gasket on both sides....

I've found that just sand between the gasket and glass can cause a leak. I'd say empty the overflows and work on it. Remove the gasket and clean it.

Hmmm...yes, I am going to have to empty it. It is not leaking now but I am not confident that it won't start acting up again.

I agree. Should not be too big an issue. I have drained mine a few times trying to fish that have jumped in.

Best to stop the problem quickly before it leads to something worse.

Is caulk not an option in this situation? It worked for me.

Also: here is a tip that helped me find (and ultimately cure my leak) .. get the outside of your bulkhead dry... Put a bucket underneath the bulkhead if necessary... Dust the entire area with baby powder... Put powder on the floor of the bucket also.. Now fill the overflow with water and WATCH for the powder to reveal the exact spot where water is emerging.

Back
Top Bottom