Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New tank weird behavior

My torch coral has been flourishing since i got it. My tank is in second week of new tank cycle. I added some bacteria and coral foods the first week. Will he eventually die as nitrates build? I bought a hang on refugium w/protein skimmer and i hope it helps with the water clarity and bacteria.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2660584433.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	122688

It has light green color near the brain/mouth and sides. Its been replicating and streching since I got it last week. This is the Healthiest i have, the yellow polyps are turning brownish and my pom pom xenia is just a xenia stem(deflated).

Name:	image-2702893500.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	122690

I need advice in helping my healthiest(torch) from facing what the others are. Where should I place it? Its just a frag as u can see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3482122591.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	122689  

Old 10-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Soooo.... The tanks not cycled..... And it looks like you have standard t8 lights..... Meaning..... Everything will die. Return all of them. During the cycle your not supposed to have anything but rock and sand. Do some research before jumping the gun.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank should be cycled first. Here's a good read. Any questions let us know. A lot of people starting out don't know about the cycling process, I didn't when I first started.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-...ank/Page1.html

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have t5 and at night 18w 2200 lumen PAR LED 453 actinic. And its four t5 flourescent 10k which i will replace with various spectrum t5 flourescent 400-500 nm actinic+blue aqua fuse bulbs to supplement the daytime patterns. The actinic looks amazing at night, im hoping to turn over some nice coralline algae with using purple up very soon!

Name:	image-2865058033.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	122697

Answer my question please, what is that bright green stuff in the cuticle of my torch coral? Purple up work well in cycling process?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazwaz
I have t5 and at night 18w 2200 lumen PAR LED 453 actinic. And its four t5 flourescent 10k which i will replace with various spectrum t5 flourescent 400-500 nm actinic+blue aqua fuse bulbs to supplement the daytime patterns. The actinic looks amazing at night, im hoping to turn over some nice coralline algae with using purple up very soon!

Answer my question please, what is that bright green stuff in the cuticle of my torch coral? Purple up work well in cycling process?
Ok... I don't see a torch coral, maybe my phone is messed up. I see a Xena. Purple up will do absolutely nothing for your cycle process.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 10-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would return it if i could, LFS gives FFS reaction with return policy, sorry they just gotta be men and bare the ammo+nitr build up till bacteria levels out.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was my phone I see it now. I don't see anything wrong with it. Your tank is not cycled so it will be hard to keep corals healthy during the cycle process. I'm sure you know this already.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Name:	image-615582245.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	122699
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazwaz
I would return it if i could, LFS gives FFS reaction with return policy, sorry they just gotta be men and bare the ammo+nitr build up till bacteria levels out.
That response is very irresponsible in my opinion. They need to be men and bare the parameter changes your water will go through? What about your fish? They should "man up" also?

How about you "man up" and take responsibility for actions and do the proper research and the right thing while your tank cycles.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161
It was my phone I see it now. I don't see anything wrong with it. Your tank is not cycled so it will be hard to keep corals healthy during the cycle process. I'm sure you know this already.
Thanks convict! Yes i just like second opinions, even when ive made up my mind already. Ok will hold off on purple up till a month from now. I will use the bio bacteria and prime daily. Will also order those t5 specialized replacement bulbs for optimal environment for the coralline to seed around. Should I hook up a power filter to my hang on refugium when it comes? Should i keep the canister ML C-220 on 24/7 even when i set up the han on refugium?

Im thinking the more filters, the safer i am in long run? I also want pristine crystal clear water, i hate large floaters! Please advise, thanks! Ohh btw its the ecosystem pro60 wet/dry hang on with modified CPR protein skimmer and light 18w im guessing daylight.

Its ordered so im just waiting.

Tags
behavior, tan, weir

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com