New tank weird behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gazwaz

Aquarium Advice Regular
My torch coral has been flourishing since i got it. My tank is in second week of new tank cycle. I added some bacteria and coral foods the first week. Will he eventually die as nitrates build? I bought a hang on refugium w/protein skimmer and i hope it helps with the water clarity and bacteria.

image-2660584433.jpg

It has light green color near the brain/mouth and sides. Its been replicating and streching since I got it last week. This is the Healthiest i have, the yellow polyps are turning brownish and my pom pom xenia is just a xenia stem(deflated).

image-2702893500.jpg

I need advice in helping my healthiest(torch) from facing what the others are. Where should I place it? Its just a frag as u can see.

Attachments

• image-3482122591.jpg
    image-3482122591.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 109
Soooo.... The tanks not cycled..... And it looks like you have standard t8 lights..... Meaning..... Everything will die. Return all of them. During the cycle your not supposed to have anything but rock and sand. Do some research before jumping the gun.

I have t5 and at night 18w 2200 lumen PAR LED 453 actinic. And its four t5 flourescent 10k which i will replace with various spectrum t5 flourescent 400-500 nm actinic+blue aqua fuse bulbs to supplement the daytime patterns. The actinic looks amazing at night, im hoping to turn over some nice coralline algae with using purple up very soon!

image-2865058033.jpg

Answer my question please, what is that bright green stuff in the cuticle of my torch coral? Purple up work well in cycling process?

Gazwaz said:
I have t5 and at night 18w 2200 lumen PAR LED 453 actinic. And its four t5 flourescent 10k which i will replace with various spectrum t5 flourescent 400-500 nm actinic+blue aqua fuse bulbs to supplement the daytime patterns. The actinic looks amazing at night, im hoping to turn over some nice coralline algae with using purple up very soon!

Answer my question please, what is that bright green stuff in the cuticle of my torch coral? Purple up work well in cycling process?

Ok... I don't see a torch coral, maybe my phone is messed up. I see a Xena. Purple up will do absolutely nothing for your cycle process.

I would return it if i could, LFS gives FFS reaction with return policy, sorry they just gotta be men and bare the ammo+nitr build up till bacteria levels out.

It was my phone I see it now. I don't see anything wrong with it. Your tank is not cycled so it will be hard to keep corals healthy during the cycle process. I'm sure you know this already.

Gazwaz said:
I would return it if i could, LFS gives FFS reaction with return policy, sorry they just gotta be men and bare the ammo+nitr build up till bacteria levels out.

That response is very irresponsible in my opinion. They need to be men and bare the parameter changes your water will go through? What about your fish? They should "man up" also?

How about you "man up" and take responsibility for actions and do the proper research and the right thing while your tank cycles.

Last edited:
Convict2161 said:
It was my phone I see it now. I don't see anything wrong with it. Your tank is not cycled so it will be hard to keep corals healthy during the cycle process. I'm sure you know this already.

Thanks convict! Yes i just like second opinions, even when ive made up my mind already. Ok will hold off on purple up till a month from now. I will use the bio bacteria and prime daily. Will also order those t5 specialized replacement bulbs for optimal environment for the coralline to seed around. Should I hook up a power filter to my hang on refugium when it comes? Should i keep the canister ML C-220 on 24/7 even when i set up the han on refugium?

Im thinking the more filters, the safer i am in long run? I also want pristine crystal clear water, i hate large floaters! Please advise, thanks! Ohh btw its the ecosystem pro60 wet/dry hang on with modified CPR protein skimmer and light 18w im guessing daylight.

Its ordered so im just waiting.

Sorry if that post came off wrong but your post sounded like you just don't care. Hard to read things over the Internet.

Convict2161 said:
That response is very irresponsible in my opinion. They need to be men and bare the parameter changes your water will go through? What about your fish? They should "man up" also?

How about you "man up" and take responsibility for actions and do the proper research and the right thing while your tank cycles.

You ahould watch Desert Seas with David Attenborough. Look at how the corals in the MENA region adapted!

Last edited by a moderator:
They do have products out there to help push your cycle along a little faster..

Key to this hobby is patience I learned the hard way. Wait 4 to 6 weeks when your water test is good start adding slow.the coral will not man up it will die and you lose money.a region is a lot larger than our little fish bowls they are living animals!

I agree how would you like it if I locked you up in a closet and filled it full of smoke. I don't think you lungs would be to happy to breath that in. You are essentially doing this to your livestock. Talk to the fish store and see if they can at least hold on to the livestock till cycling is completed. It's the nicest "man up" thing to do.

Sell them off or somehow return them. They WILL die if ammonia rises. Your fish can hide and die where they hide and release even more ammonia from the decay, and of course you won't be there to clean it up right away. This is an enclosed aquarium, it is not the wild that has unlimited resources and usually constant parameters. Putting your corals through a cycle is something they CANNOT endure. Many people have made the mistake of putting in livestock before it cycles, I don't think you'll be an exception. :L

Soooo.... The tanks not cycled..... And it looks like you have standard t8 lights..... Meaning..... Everything will die. Return all of them. During the cycle your not supposed to have anything but rock and sand. Do some research before jumping the gun.

Wrong on both counts; obviously the lighting is more than enough to support the corals and so long as the cycling is done correctly, nothing is going to die.

Gazwaz, while not the best thing to do, it is completely possible to finish your cycle with the corals you currently have in the tank. Please read through the following thread on soft cycling and follow the directions as given;

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/soft-cycling-the-saltwater-aquarium-175485.html

So long as you keep the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates below the toxic level your corals will be fine. It probably would be best to return the fish if possible, but if not, if you follow the directions to a perfection, it also will survive the cycling process.

Avoid dosing with Purple-up period. It is nothing but a calcium supplement and while the extra calcium may increase coralline growth, it will also throw you calcium levels in the tank out of whack! Maintaining proper chemical levels using a good quality test kit will promote more than enough coralline growth. Soon enough you will be complaining about having to scrap it off the walls so you can see in your aquarium.

Key to this hobby is patience I learned the hard way. Wait 4 to 6 weeks when your water test is good start adding slow.the coral will not man up it will die and you lose money.a region is a lot larger than our little fish bowls they are living animals!

I agree how would you like it if I locked you up in a closet and filled it full of smoke. I don't think you lungs would be to happy to breath that in. You are essentially doing this to your livestock. Talk to the fish store and see if they can at least hold on to the livestock till cycling is completed. It's the nicest "man up" thing to do.

Sell them off or somehow return them. They WILL die if ammonia rises. Your fish can hide and die where they hide and release even more ammonia from the decay, and of course you won't be there to clean it up right away. This is an enclosed aquarium, it is not the wild that has unlimited resources and usually constant parameters. Putting your corals through a cycle is something they CANNOT endure. Many people have made the mistake of putting in livestock before it cycles, I don't think you'll be an exception. :L

I'm going to suggest, politely, that you all need to educate yourself a little further and step down off your high horses. Please take the time to read through the following threads;

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/soft-cycling-the-saltwater-aquarium-175485.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f23/a-friendly-reminder-about-tact-215028.html

while this may not be the best or most recommended course of action, it is completely doable. The "myth" that any aquarium cannot be cycled with livestock in a safe and humane manner is just that, a myth! So take the time to help someone out rather than being a negative Ned/Nellie and driving members away from the forum.

Back
Top Bottom