new to AA new to saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derdy88

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey just got my first saltwter tank its a 40gal i have 4 inches of live sand and about 40 pounds of LR its fully cycled right now and i just have about 10 hermit crabs. just waiting on a new balast for my good light. once i get the light up and running im going to throw in a couple corals and get them started befor livestock. this is what i wanted help with, im not too sure what im want to put in this tank.

i for sure want 2 percula clowns and possibly a small blue hippo tang with one or two blood\fire shrimp.
im just wondering what other fish would get along great with the clowns (not sure if i want the small tang yet)

i want the most colourful and active fish possible all my corals im going bright colours i want to be able to catch anyones eye.

hope you guys can help me

Welcome aboard. For best results take your questions to the SW forums. More people will see it there and you`ll get more answers there. Again welcome

I would not recomend a tang for a smaller aquarium, espessially a hippo. They need tons of swimming space and a 75 minimum, preferably a 6 foot tank. Anyways, fish to go with your clowns could be almost any reef safe wrasse, gobys, blennys, firefish, royal gramma (or other psuedochromis), fish along those lines :)

Welcome to the site!
The clowns will be fine, but I would not add the tang, they require a lot of swimming room.

and i have been told to add fish slowly so i down shock or crash the system. is this true. i plan on getting the clowns next week how long should i wait untill i add more ? i planned on getting the clown and start with corals and get some corals growing before adding more fish
good idea or no ?

Wow a Blue tang that on gets 3inches? They can grow up to a foot.
Yes you want to add fish slowly, so your beneficial bacteria can keep up with the new bio load.
If adding clowns, you should add them at the same time. You could probably get away with adding them first, just make sure you test your water and have PWCs on stand by.

Welcome to AA!

Adding corals before you system gets a chance to stabilize is a risky ($$$$) thing to do. Even after your tank has finished the cycle it is still going through adjustments.

As a rule of thumb I say don't add corals for the first 2-4 months. Corals are not as forgiving as fish. Also corals get most of what they need from your lighting. I see that you are waiting on ballast, what kind of lighting are you using?

What kind of corals are you looking at housing? Different corals need different things.

Back
Top Bottom