Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2002, 11:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

new to hexagon aquariums...any suggestions on fish

I have a small hexagon tank (20 gallons) that i am just starting up...does anyone have any suggestions as to what types of fish to buy???

Old 10-01-2002, 11:30 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Very small, sedentary fish, like clown gobies. Hex tanks, IMO, make poor S/W tanks, they lack the surface area of a rectangular tank and they are tall rather than wide, cutting down on useful swimming room. Had you posted before the purchase, I am pretty sure we all would have advised against it. What plans do you have for this tank? Reef, FO, FOWLR?

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 11:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I pretty much agree with what was said in the other post! You could probably put in a pair of fire fish or a pair of bangaii cardinals as they do not move alot but look really cool! JMO Johnny
Old 10-02-2002, 03:07 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to CaliGal Send a message via MSN to CaliGal
Hi Matty,

I wish you much success as you begin your 20g tank. Because it is small in terms of saltwater aquaria, strangely your workload will be considerably greater. Smaller SW tanks require a lot of monitoring and maintenance. If you are successful in maintaining your hex tank, you will have a lot of good experience under your belt; if you have problems while trying, the same will hold true.

You might check on the net for NANO SW tank sites for further encouragement.

Good luck, and please keep us posted. You will find lots of good info in the archives, too.

Sue
Old 10-02-2002, 09:51 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Dont feel we are telling you its not possible or your going to be elbow deep in the tank every few hours. Its just that with a smaller tank things happen faster and are usually more problematic when they do happen. The absolute key to sucess with a saltwater tank of any size is to know yoru limits.

Know what your limited to by lighting, by tank size, by tank dimentions, or by general experence. Knowing and understanding what your limits are and making sure you do not cross your limits will make you successful.

Take your time. Read all you can. Ask so many questions you feel like your a spammer. I started into saltwater with a 20 gal tank myself. You can see some photos in the photo gallery of my 20 gal tank.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 09:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Pygmy Seahorses.

* * Caution * * these are NOT easy fish to care for.

Tags
hexagon, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com