New to reef hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dawny11 said:
Well so far so good....Or so I thought. I noticed a little red legged hermit that had squeezed its way between two snails that where stuck together and I assumed the crab was cleaning their shells....I guess not! because now, I have two empty snail shells! My guess is the hermit ate the two snails? Is that possible?? The size of the hermit compared to just one of the snails would be a variable feast! I can't believe it would have eaten two of them, if any? Any ideas?:huh:

Hermits will absolutely eat snails if they don't have enough food. They will also kill snails, eat them and take their shells if there are no shells or them to move into when they molt and get too big for their current shell.

Hi, It's not been good :-( All was going well, the tank was in tip top condition so I brought to clowns, an Emperor and 2 twin gobys, 3 emerald crabs and a cleaner shrimp. Two days later I found one clown dead and in the claws of a crab. The following day the gobys were no more and no where to be seen. Then the second clown and the emperor were lunch for the crabs. I contacted the store and was told "there must be something sinister in the live rock" Really??? I spent over £100 and am not a happy bunny. I've been told I have to now put a plastic bottle with a few chopped muscles and shrimp in the bottom, cut the top off and invert it into the bottle so that the "sinister something" will come out at night and hopefully be caught. All well and good if there is any truth in this, but what about the cleaner and the crabs if they get nosey! Any advise will be gratefully received. Thank you.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I hate disappointment in this hobby, but it happens. :ermm: Usually people add fish slowly. It's not advisable to put all the stock you want in at once. If they weren't killed, there might have been another mini cycle because the bacteria might have not been able to handle the ammonia all at once. (Fish waste->ammonia, more fish, more waste, more ammonia). Next time you might want to buy a clownfish or a small group of chromis...something on the inexpensive side, (and quite hardy) so if it does die, it shouldn't be a huge investment. Then later (few weeks-months, depends) you can add the next fish and so on. Patience is key! And without it, problems will surely arise. I don't really know what that "monster" possibly eating your fish could be...maybe a mantis shrimp? Best of luck. :D :fish1:

Thank you for the advise. I have brought one clown now and a large feather duster. I will wait and see what happens next. I still have the cleaning crew so I shall keep all digits crossed.

Back
Top Bottom