Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I totally do too!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have a nem either and my clown is perfectly happy.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I am not a fan of anemones. My clowns love to host in my waving hand coral (which doesn't seem to sting anything). They won't do it in any kind of waving hand as I grow several varieties. They like the long tentical type that is light tan in color. I have a few videos posted on YouTube showing this hosting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1330410157.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	114983  
Old 08-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've had a maximum of 9 tanks up at one time and have not had any anemones for any of my clown pairs and they do just fine. A popular misconception in this hobby about clowns and nems.

Based on what you say the store is telling you i would definitely find another store, even if it means a little bit of a further drive. I personally will drive an hour for the good stores and to ensure i am dealing with people who know the hobby and won't steer me wrong. As mentioned above, there are usually a ton of people on this forum that will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. The good thing about the forum is no one is out to make money from you so there is no conflict of interest as there seems to be with your current shop.

For a new tank i would be testing salinity, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates regularly. Once you acquire some corals you may have to test for a few other things but i wouldnt worry about them right now.

Good luck!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks everyone, Im pleased I joined as this was just the kind of advise I needed.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:47 AM   #16

new "small" problem

Me again! I woke up today with a small amount of brown algae re-appearing plus a minute white "bug?" on the thermometer. It's been fun watching the snails trying to catch the bugs, but should I be concerned the bugs are there? They are very tiny and white in colour and have only just appeared. I understand brown algae must go through a process in the tank but should I do anything to help or leave well alone?
Old 08-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are pods which are a great part of the cuc and a naturally occurring food source for your fish
Old 08-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
I am not a fan of anemones. My clowns love to host in my waving hand coral (which doesn't seem to sting anything). They won't do it in any kind of waving hand as I grow several varieties. They like the long tentical type that is light tan in color. I have a few videos posted on YouTube showing this hosting.
That is anthelia I believe
Old 08-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You are right.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #20

update

Well so far so good....Or so I thought. I noticed a little red legged hermit that had squeezed its way between two snails that where stuck together and I assumed the crab was cleaning their shells....I guess not! because now, I have two empty snail shells! My guess is the hermit ate the two snails? Is that possible?? The size of the hermit compared to just one of the snails would be a variable feast! I can't believe it would have eaten two of them, if any? Any ideas?

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com