Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to reef hobby

Hi, I joined this site yesterday in hope that I will be further educated about this wonderful hobby. I have recently set up a 60ltr Fluvel Edge tank with 4kg of live rock, and sand. I have the lightening and temperature installed and correct to. The first 6 weeks have been a disaster and having been advised by the local aquatic store, I started all over again, but I'm getting there and thankfully I haven't brought any fish yet. I'm off to buy cleaner shrimp and hermits today and maybe one or two snails to start some life in the tank. Having read some of the threads here and far too much information on the net, I am horrified by the different numbers and chemical equations that I keep seeing. Could someone tell me what I should always be testing for and why, but in layman terms please as I really don't understand some of the jargon. I know there will be people that will say i shouldn't do this if I don't know what I'm doing, but I have to start somewhere and do have a very basic knowledge. Hope to hear from new friends soon. Thank you

Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first thing you need to do is cycle your tank. This is the process of establishing beneficial bacteria that will convert your ammonia to nitirites and then to nitrates. The things to test for, not just now but always, and PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. You can get a master salt water test kit that will do the trick. There are also other things to test for like phosphates, but while you are cycling I wouldn't worry too much about that. You will also need a hydrometer or refractometer to test salinity. In the cycling process, you will see a spike of ammonia and nitrites. When those numbers get to 0, and you see a nitrate reading, you have cycled. Once that happens, you will need to do a larger water change to bring the nitrates down. A smaller water change must also be done weekly for the same reason (about 10%). During the cycling process, do not do any water changes, just top off any water loss from evaporation with fresh RODI water (all top offs with be fresh water, not salt water- if you top off with salt water you will be raising your salinity, as when water from the tank evaporates, the salt stays in the tank and raises it. Adding fresh water will maintain it where it was. Top offs are VERY important as it maintains salinity and in turn is much better for the fish). Hope this helps a bit, ask as many questions as you can, it will only help your experience! Good luck and welcome to AA

Old 08-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #3

Hi AA, Thank you for the info, it really made sense! I now know my first mistake, I was topping up with salt water with the first tank I had. I took a sample of the water to be tested today and all is great! I am now the proud owner of 5 little red legged hermits and 5 pink snails. Hopefully next week I will introduce a couple of cleaner shrimp and the week after the long awaited clowns and nem!
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

An anemone will need an established tank with strong lighting to survive (if they die they can nuke the tank : / ...) And I would be getting a liquid test kit before adding anything else because 99% of the time the stores will tell you your water "looks good" so they can make a sale. If you do have them test for you again ask what type of test they are using and what the numbers are so you can make an informed decision. Small mistakes can cost a lot in saltwater unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also in a tank that size I honestly would be against the anemone at any point since they can do major damage to corals and walk around so in a limited amount of space they could start trampling and stinging your corals
Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #6

Thank you. Once again you have been a great help. The shop told me it would be fine to have nem in a few weeks, in fact they said I couldn't NOT have one if I wanted Clowns! So pleased I joined this site, you've been a great help. D.x
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawny11
Thank you. Once again you have been a great help. The shop told me it would be fine to have nem in a few weeks, in fact they said I couldn't NOT have one if I wanted Clowns! So pleased I joined this site, you've been a great help. D.x
Dont listen to that shop they are feeding you crap. This is what fish stores do to make money.

Clowns never REQUIRE a nem.

Also nems need an established tank usually recommends a tank be atleast 6 months old.

Also high intensity lighting is needed for nems, if you do not have enough it will bleach out and die.

Get your info from us here at AA and we will make you a lot more successful than that fish store. No offense or anything meant to you, i just hate fish stores that blatantly give out false information to sell more.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Dont listen to that shop they are feeding you crap. This is what fish stores do to make money.

Clowns never REQUIRE a nem.

Also nems need an established tank usually recommends a tank be atleast 6 months old.

Also high intensity lighting is needed for nems, if you do not have enough it will bleach out and die.

Get your info from us here at AA and we will make you a lot more successful than that fish store. No offense or anything meant to you, i just hate fish stores that blatantly give out false information to sell more.
+1... There are so many people out there who have clowns and no nem... Myself included
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Same here two clowns and no nem! Haha i think its hilarious how every noobie thinks that a clown/nem combo is the greatest thing in the world. Haha
Old 08-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benamayer

+1... There are so many people out there who have clowns and no nem... Myself included
Yesh! And myself! But...i do want one eventually

Tags
reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com