Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerretCareGiver06
I remember the lighting you said, 6 bulbs, three bright three blue, no more then 15,000 watts
I think he probably meant 15000k which is a color temperature. 15000 watts would be a ginormous amount of energy. Unless you're planning on corals also, you don't need that much light.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I really do appreciate all the help, even if some questions are stupid, I read what can and listen to what others can advise me. It being my first saltwater and doin something as moderate as seahorses, I want to be on the safest side I can. Any tips and tricks you can tell me will be put to good use and written down for notes to read

Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask! I asked all sorts of newbie questions, and it turns out that every expert in here had the same questions at one point! Welcome to the salty club! It's addictive.
Though by no means am I an expert, I gotta say, I wouldn't recommend seahorses for a beginner. My understanding is that they are far more demanding than the average saltwater fish. I'd give yourself some time to get the hang of the whole SW thing before trying seahorses, but that's just me!
I intend to have a seahorse tank someday, but I'm giving myself lots of time first.
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea and after doing some research for you I found that a 75 gallon is prob to big to do seahorses in as they mainly eat mysis and pod foods. In a large tank it might be hard for them to find enough food to stay nurished. Best size Is a 30-50 gallon from what I'm reading. Id trade ya but I'm atm fillin my 55. Lol
Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #15

Awww but the seaponies!! Darn, alright. Would it be best to buy a bio cube or build it up piece by piece?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #16

Even if I had two pairs?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #17

I have my old 55 still, would that be sufficient?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #18

i believe corals would be harder for me to do then seahorses, and its more expensive. Back to the drawing board and see what kind of fish are out there and available
Old 01-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

The 55 would def be better than the 75. My suggestion. Do the 55 or 75 as a fish only w/ live rock to start. U can always go reef down the road. I did my 25 fowlr for almost a yr before I went reef.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are some great articles out there on how to set up a seahorse tank. Google it and take a couple hours to read up on different setups and suggestions.
One thing I've read in several places is to beware of corals in a seahorse tank because the horses will try to anchor on them and can get stung pretty badly. The recommendation seems to be macroalgae or fake plants/corals.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com