New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read about branches and tonga being safe for them to anker too but I'll be sure to keep reading. I found this on amazon for $595....36 gallon reef ready cube, complete with real wood stand and canopy, filter, pump, skimmer and light. It seems like a deal to me but I haven't looked everywhere yet and I don't trust craiglist all too much.

Well, craigslist, like any classifieds, is always a little risky. But I have had some great experiences and can usually find great deals. The stand and tank I got for $40 were worth ten times that much brand new, easily.
Just never go to meet someone alone, and use cash. But generally, fishy people on craigslist are as trustworthy as fishy people elsewhere. LOL

Craigslist has got nothing...wow, im actually surprised at that. Any suggestions to wear to look for certain accessaries, like best places to look for canopy's, stands, things like that

Some days it has nothing, some days it has solid gold. Check back frequently. But also look at Amazon, and watch the LFS for sales.

Thank you very much, I know people say to stay away from them as a beginner but I believe that any saltwater aquarium are all the same difficulty for a beginner, so may as well go for what really got me into the hobby.

I don't know that seahorses are actually more difficult, but rather they simply have unique requirements. With proper planning, and the dedication to provide for their basic needs, I can't imagine they're that much more difficult.
Cooler water, gentler flow, nothing fast that can outcompete them for food, and adequate hitching posts. Be sure to buy tank raised, as the wild caught have a poorer survival rate and wild populations are already under pressure!

Yep, have been doing extensive research from magazines, books, articles, and now a friend referred me to here. I'm going to take time to see costs fro tanks, tank mates, food, and other accesseries. I just found another option for a tank, oceanic 29g biocube HQI aquarium system, I found it on doctors Fosters and Smith and I have had dealings with them before. I like them. They have a lot of features that go along with it that Doesn't normally come along with it, to my knowledge. Any other advice?

Lol it is, I can see why. I'm getting my seaponies and I've found the perfect tank. Can't wait to get my tax returns lol MacDracor gave me a name for someone who has the same tank and seahorses, Def. an inspiration against the others that told me to stay away from my ponies! I'll be bugging you again soon with Q and A's

The saltwater hobby is incredibly addictive, but more than that, it's fun! And friendly! So while a lot of people may believe something is difficult or a bad idea, if it's what you really want, I say we should support you so that you can succeed at it. After all, in aquariums, as in most things, if you're not having fun, why bother?

Back
Top Bottom