Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I read about branches and tonga being safe for them to anker too but I'll be sure to keep reading. I found this on amazon for $595....36 gallon reef ready cube, complete with real wood stand and canopy, filter, pump, skimmer and light. It seems like a deal to me but I haven't looked everywhere yet and I don't trust craiglist all too much.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, craigslist, like any classifieds, is always a little risky. But I have had some great experiences and can usually find great deals. The stand and tank I got for $40 were worth ten times that much brand new, easily.
Just never go to meet someone alone, and use cash. But generally, fishy people on craigslist are as trustworthy as fishy people elsewhere. LOL

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #23

Craigslist has got nothing...wow, im actually surprised at that. Any suggestions to wear to look for certain accessaries, like best places to look for canopy's, stands, things like that
Old 01-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some days it has nothing, some days it has solid gold. Check back frequently. But also look at Amazon, and watch the LFS for sales.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #25

Thats where I found that deal. Would it be an idea to just use a 29 gallon biocube?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard of people using a 29 biocube for horses. I bet with a google search on "29 gallon biocube seahorses" you'd get a lot of hits.
In fact, just did it. Lots of hits, some great pics, even some forums. One on here!
29 Gallon Seahorse Bio Cube
This user would probably be a good one to ask for advice!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #27

Thank you very much, I know people say to stay away from them as a beginner but I believe that any saltwater aquarium are all the same difficulty for a beginner, so may as well go for what really got me into the hobby.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know that seahorses are actually more difficult, but rather they simply have unique requirements. With proper planning, and the dedication to provide for their basic needs, I can't imagine they're that much more difficult.
Cooler water, gentler flow, nothing fast that can outcompete them for food, and adequate hitching posts. Be sure to buy tank raised, as the wild caught have a poorer survival rate and wild populations are already under pressure!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #29

Yep, have been doing extensive research from magazines, books, articles, and now a friend referred me to here. I'm going to take time to see costs fro tanks, tank mates, food, and other accesseries. I just found another option for a tank, oceanic 29g biocube HQI aquarium system, I found it on doctors Fosters and Smith and I have had dealings with them before. I like them. They have a lot of features that go along with it that Doesn't normally come along with it, to my knowledge. Any other advice?
Old 01-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

That friend was ME!!! Lol. And I told you this forums awesome is it not? I'm on this more than facebook. Lol

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com