Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to saltwater

I have experience from freshwater and I have been doing a lot of research when I can. I have a 75 gallon to use, I didnt even start setting it up until I get prices for the fish I want after getting notes for each of them and how to care for them and some hard coral i want to use. I'm also trying to find the compatibility for the fish as well. From what I have found its off to a good start. These are my fish I want: reidi black seahorse 2 pair, yellow bannded pipefish, flame angel, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp. Does this seem like its a good start? This all I really wanted, not adding anything else but hard coral like tonga fusion and branches

Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The angel wouldn't go well with the pipe fish and sea horses they require a more species only tank (the pipe fish and sea horses that is)

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #3

What kind of filter or protein skimmer would be best for them? I hear I could possibly make my own...
Old 01-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Angels don't do well in reef tanks either for the most part. There are some exceptions, but I won't count on it.

Lok at HOB skimmers or consider a sump and an overflow box. Then you can put a skimmer, heater, more rock, and even macro algaes for more filtration in it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought u said u wanted firefish with them? I kinda knew the angels were a bad idea... and the skimmer u shuldnt be too worried about right now. Worry about how ur gonna keep our hard city water soft enough to sustain the horses. That'd be my first focus.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #6

I did but I guess I need to focus more on what exact supplies I would need. You already told me about the firefish lol so i asked another question. So Skimmer is out right now, How do I keep the water soft enough not to croak my seaponies?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm going to suggest the same site carey told me about. Www.PureWaterClub.com pick urself up an ro/di unit. Its going to make a world of a difference. Then you might need to add water softener pillows to your sump or fuge. Probably better in the sump. But test the water before. You never know that rodi unit might make it soft enough too. I'm not really good on seaponies. That $120 skimmer we sell should be more than powerful enough to run a 75 gal tho. U need to think about lighting too.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

I remember the lighting you said, 6 bulbs, three bright three blue, no more then 15,000 watts
Old 01-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

I read an air pump is a necessity too....
Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't want to use an air pump in saltwater; it just make a mess sending salt creep everywhere. If you use RODI water, your source water will start off with zero hardness. I've never heard of anyone using something to soften saltwater.

With seahorses and pipefish, you pretty much only want to keep other small and slow moving species that won't out compete them.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com