New to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobbyFishKins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! So I'm starting a 30 gallon saltwater tank. I have filters, a heater and lighting, but I was wondering what are some good beginner fish, and whats kinds of testing gear I need??:thanks::fish1::fish1:

+1 you will need live rock and probably not the filters you have. Sand (if you like the look of it) start with the API saltwater master kit, it is not as accurate as some but a good place to start. Invest in a refractometer too. Yeah don't get damsels, I know it's a cliche but clownfish are a good place to start. Read all the articles here about setting up/cycling before you buy anything. You going to buy pre mixed saltwater or make you own? Make sure you don't use tap water ;)

Use deionized water. There may be varying opinions but it gives me peace of mind. If you want to start with a more inexpensive fish, I would suggest chromis. I think they are technically in the damsel family (aren't clownfish closely related too?) but chromis seem more friendly than damsels.

Back
Top Bottom