New to saltwater. How do I clean my live sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Namkcap

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my 55 gallon saltwater tank three months ago, and everything seems to be going good. My one issue is that I'm getting brown algae on my live sand, and some of my live rock. What critters or fish do I get to solve this problem?

It's diatoms it will go away in about 2 weeks. Very common in new tanks. You could look into a lawnmower blenny for the rocks and a diamond goby for the sand.( keep in mind this is only suggestions and are not needed. The diatoms will go away by them self)

I guess I will just leave it. That's great news, the wife is getting on me for spending to much $. I'll save it for something else cool to go in the tank. Thanks for the advice.

No sacrifice no victory lol :) she will soon love it. And evething will be worth it. There's a danger though. You'll spend more time staring your tank than your wife, my case husband hahaha

Are you using tap water? There may be another problem behind your diatoms/algae that may just keep causing them to reappear. I suggest you look into buying a RO/DI unit if you are currently using tap. It will remove all metals, minerals, and other dissovled solids that may cause any problems in the future.

I'm using RO water from Walmart. I was told that it is good water to use for my tank.

Just as a precaution, I would test your Walmart RO water. I was using it and fighting a pretty big algae bloom. It took me a while to think to test the water. Their unit must have been due for some maintenance. I got high readings when I tested it for phosphate.

Is that a lack of changing the filters? I think I might take what disposable income I do have and buy a RO unit? Can u recommend a good but cheap unit?

I think I will buy a RO unit. Can any u recommend a cheap but good unit?

Back
Top Bottom