new to saltwater. how do i get rid of amonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippie6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok. well let me start out saying that im knew to saltwater. ive had my 20 gallon for about 2 months now. when i got it i set it up and let it cycle for about a week. i realize now that may not have been long enough but whats done is done. at this point i have about 10 lbs of live rock in the tank, a blue damsel fish, a striped wrasse fish, a starfish (i 4get wat kind), and a pepper shrimp. i also have sum various corals in it as well. i put everything it over time and it seemed to b ok. everything in the tank still looks great so far. but when i tested my water yesterday i now have .025 ammonia in my tank. my nitrates and ph are normal and i have not gotten a nitrite test yet so i don't know what they are at. Basically im concerned about the ammonia and im wondering what the best route is to go about getting rid of it. any input is appreciated. :)

Water change..... Always water change.

+1. Until you have enough BB built up to process the ammonia produced, you'll need to do (possibly daily) PWCs to keep it below 0.25. Zero is what it should be, but you're basically doing a fish-in cycle at this point. Nitrites will probably rise next, and you'll have to do the same thing with them. Good luck with the tank!! :)

2 months is long enough that you shouldnt have any ammonia. Seeing as how you only have 10 lbs live rock, adding more quality rock will help process ammonia faster.

Also stay on top of waterchanges and use water changes to bring down the levels so the fish are not harmed. My guess is that more liverock will fix the problem.

Adding uncurred LR will raise ammonia lvl's too. This is why u have patients.
My guess is that you always had your parameters out of wack? And you have been doing water changes and now you are realizing things are not right. Daily changes, test waster every other day and a lot time/effort.
Talk to LFS and don't add chemicals to hide the spikes..

What are you using to test? I have an API at home and according to the color chart it always looks like .25, but when I go to LFS it is zero. So now I know .25 on my API is zero. Just something to keep in mind.

i have just recently started keeping up on my water changes (within the last week) and it doesnt seem like it has gone down but it hasnt gotten worse either. Ive only been doing a 10% daily tho. should i possibly step it up? and i am using an api color test so maybe i should try a new test. thanks for the help i def appreciate it. also, i am using tap water for my water changes. i condition it and everything but ive been reading that ro water or whatever is good and i know they have it at my local pet store. is that sumthing that would help 2? im sure thats a dumb question but to b perfectly honest i dont know the difference.

also i had one more question. all i have for filtration is a penguin filter with the bio wheel and i believe its for up to 45 gal. Would a protein skimmer or sumthing like that maybe help to?

Yes protein skimmers are good. Maybe step your water changes up a little like maybe to 15-20%. If you have corals maybe grab a reef test kit to. And getting a trites test.

Also check your tap water. That may be where the ammonia source is coming from. My tap shows ammonia when I test. I would seriously consider using RO water for saltwater tanks

+1 to test your water. I have a filter that's supposed to rock, but the chloramins(?) are so high in our local water that my ammonia was spiking.

They do add all kinds of stuff to tap water to disinfect it so its safe for drinking. But those chemicals are not safe sea life. RO water is filtered so all these things are removed and make it safe to your tank

Back
Top Bottom