Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Fish R friends, not food!

Have the fish been in the tank since day 1?

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think you're in going way too fast brother.

You put in too much too fast. (fish, star, anemone). I highly doubt the anemome would have survived even if the starfish didn't eat him.

Putting that starfish and the anemone in a freshly started tank is a bad idea in my opinion and that guy at the pet shop should be smacked in his **** head for selling you that live stock. Not to mention that fool sells you all that without informing you that ammonia, nitrate and nitrite kits are a necessity for a new tank

Bring the star back and get more live rock if you can...at least the chromis have a chance to survive so give that a shot.

Good luck and find a new lfs if you can.

Regards.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

They had me wait 4 days bring in a sample of the water which they tested and then they said it was okay to start adding live fish. How much live rock should I put in the tank? Already ordered a API master test kit. And now I need to tell Petco their employes are idiots,lol.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
A pound per gallon at least. Make sure it's the most porous rock you can find. Don't choose boulder type pieces.
An average cycle lasts a couple weeks to a month.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger
They had me wait 4 days bring in a sample of the water which they tested and then they said it was okay to start adding live fish. How much live rock should I put in the tank? Already ordered a API master test kit. And now I need to tell Petco their employes are idiots,lol.
As Mr.x states, 4 days is not nearly enough time to Start adding live stock. Especially a fairly sensitive creature like a star. Not your fault they misled you, but just saying.

I'm very glad you've ordered the test kits! You'll use them, that's for sure. Wait at least 2-3 weeks before adding anything else to see where your bioload is at.

Get 1.5lbs per gallon if you have the financial means but 1lb per will do.

Good luck and please post any questions you have as you go through the learning curve. It's a big one and I'm still going through it! This board is an unbelievable tool in that regards!!

Keep us updated.

Regards;

T
Old 03-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You can get a mixture of live rock and base rock which is alot cheaper and will become live after a short time anyways. Adding base rock will also mean no ammonia spike as you might have with live rock.

Good luck
Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
You can get a mixture of live rock and base rock which is alot cheaper and will become live after a short time anyways. Adding base rock will also mean no ammonia spike as you might have with live rock.

Good luck
Just scrub it off really well or else you could cause an ammonia spike(depending on the rock & where it came from)
NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well argued with Petco Corporate about their manager selling me a anemone that was without light for 24 hours at same time as a cc starfish and was told that the manager says it was healthy so it must have been. But hey they offered me 20 bucks in savings in a book of coupons and 20% of my next fish I buy,lol. So I guess I will be doing all my buying online. Any ideas of a good trust worthy store??
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger
Well argued with Petco Corporate about their manager selling me a anemone that was without light for 24 hours at same time as a cc starfish and was told that the manager says it was healthy so it must have been. But hey they offered me 20 bucks in savings in a book of coupons and 20% of my next fish I buy,lol. So I guess I will be doing all my buying online. Any ideas of a good trust worthy store??
Bluezooaquatics and Live Aquaria. Also it seems like they sold you a yellow tailed damsel as well instead of chromis. The other fish is a green/blue chromis though.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Petco, like all chain pet stores, is hit or miss. My petco is awesome and the aquatics people are super knowledgeable. But others... well, you know.
I would argue that a 14 gallon tank is too small for any starfish to survive long term. Linkia stars feed off of microscopic stuff on surfaces and in the water column and will clean out their food source pretty quickly. Fromia stars feed off microscopic bacterial film on rock and tank sides as well. Sand sifting stars are really only appropriate for larger tanks, and as stated, some brittle stars will eat fish.
But without a starfish or anemone, there are still some beautiful corals you can put in there, and some really cool little inverts as well.

MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com