Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to Saltwater looking for advice

I have just started a Biocube 14gallon saltwater. I have 2 green chromis and a blue reef chromis, also a chocolate chip starfish( 8 year old daughter on this argument with me) I purchased this all at petco. I have also bought 7-8lbs of fiji live rock( in a established tank 11 years) a protien skimmer and a biocube circulation reef pump. Also had bought a anemone same time as starfish from petco but starfish ate it. I now have some green algae looking stuff on the sand that was not there lastnight. Any and all advice on what I am doing thats right or wrong or what I should look at doing next will be appreciated very much.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

There's so many questions i have such as how long has the tank been set up? Did you cycle it before adding fish? Do you have a water test kit? By the way that starfish is not reef safe and will eat all corals too. :-(

Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #3

Have had tank 3 weeks, bought the water from petco where they test the water for me. Is the starfish bad for the live rock then??
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The chocolate star has to go if you want corals.

Do you test the water yourself? How long are lights on? What kind do you have?

You may have a nitrate issue.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Oceanic Systems » BioCube Aquariums | Products I have the 14 gallon system it comes with lights. I will grab a test tomorrow to keep track of it all myself. So the chocolate star is bad then. It ate my sea Anemone that petco sold me the same day and said they would be fine together. Starting small with 14 gallons to see if I can get this down before going to a bigger tank.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

This is a quick picture of it. Is there a starfish that is okay with corals or no??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank 003.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	80686  
Old 03-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Y keep fake plants in the tank? I would keep it all natural and add a little more rock replace the fake stuff with living corals after you get rid of the cc star, having corals compared to the starfish well if it was me the star would be on the way bak to the store
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a sandsifting starfish that I was told is reef safe but it might get to big for your tank. I was also going to get the chocolate chip starfish until I was told is was not reef safe.

Good Luck I would take it back and tell them to give you a credit for something new because they gave you the wrong info. You tank might not have cycled yet so be careful you still might lose things
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger
This is a quick picture of it. Is there a starfish that is okay with corals or no??
Linkia stars are considered reef safe as well as most brittle or serpent stars. Avoid the common green serpent stars as they sometimes eat sleeping fish.

Be aware that the linkias although beautiful, have a reputation for withering away in all but the most established of tanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you must have a starfish get a serpent star. Reef safe, they can take food from you and are relatively easy to keep. Most other star fish, including the sand sifter do not do well in home aquaria for the most part.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com