Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to Saltwater MANY QUESTIONS PLEASE HELP!

Hey there, i recently started a 75 gallon saltwater tank. I started it about 2 days ago, added in the substrate and the salt, and some bottled bacteria as well as some live rock. What else would help the process? I am wanting to do really FOWLR. Can i add in a anemone if i only have live rock? do they need coral or anything special besides lighting? Im looking to add the anemone for a clown fish, the one with all the tenticals, sorry i dont know the name haha. If you have any more advice or anything PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE!!! Everything will help and is much appreciated!!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put a net or a media bag in the tank with a frozen shrimp in it. That will decay and help cycle the tank. Anemones need established tanks, so wait 6-12 months. Also, most anemones have that standard tentacle look. Bubble tip anemones are some of the easiest and clownfish host them more frequently. Your still gonna need relatively strong lighting for it though.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crister13
Put a net or a media bag in the tank with a frozen shrimp in it. That will decay and help cycle the tank. Anemones need established tanks, so wait 6-12 months. Also, most anemones have that standard tentacle look. Bubble tip anemones are some of the easiest and clownfish host them more frequently. Your still gonna need relatively strong lighting for it though.
Yep solid advice.

Nems will need intense lighting a good flow. A good thing to do now is get some test kits and wait. Patience is a virtue.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

ok awesome, so how soon should it be before i add fish to the tank, if i do the shrimp? How long should i keep the shrimp in?
Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Until the cycle is complete. You have to test. Once ammonia and nitrite spike and goes down the cycle is over.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

POTM Champion

Enjoy the hobby, but be very patient, and take your time. ON EVERYTHING. If you move too fast, you will pay the piper, and be out a ton of money. Trust me. I started a 120 Gallon for my first tank. I have about $2500 into it before the fish. It's expensive, but not that hard. Listen to what others tell you. Most of the time, we are speaking from experience. I been going for 3 months now, and my tank is still not mature enough to house an anemone.

Saltwater Reef Aquarium
Old 06-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofu
ok awesome, so how soon should it be before i add fish to the tank, if i do the shrimp? How long should i keep the shrimp in?
Take the shrimp out once ammonia and nitrite begin to drop and nitrate begins to rise. The cycle is complete when you have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. To get rid of all the remaining nitrates you need to do a series of large water changes until they are preferably 0.

Do not even think about adding a fish until ammonia and nitrite is 0 and nitrates are less than 10ppm. Usually cycles take around a month to properly cycle.

Tags
questions, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com