Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exclamation new to saltwater setting up ten gallon

my name is Ryan setting up ten gallon tank my budget is 75$ recommendations

Old 03-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome to AA, first off let me suggest that a 10G is a difficult first SW tank, the bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain the correct levels. Although with enough attention and commitment I'm sure you ca handle it. First of do you have yourself a test kit and refracometer?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Old 03-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Be sure to take your time through the cycle phase and may I suggest you use the raw shrimp or pure ammonia method oppose to live fish method to cycle your tank. If you are unsure on tank cycling just ask.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium
Old 03-13-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok thnx but what are your fish recommendations for the tank
Old 03-13-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If 75 bucks is your budget nothing..maybe a goldfish
Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelthereefer View Post
If 75 bucks is your budget nothing..maybe a goldfish
I wouldn't put a goldie in a 10G..

If all you have is that much it looks like you'll be doing a fish only system.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Let's be realistic. Sorry to burst your bubble but you can't do a SW tank on a $75 budget.

Even if you looked on Craiglist for a used system. What you should do is start reading up and saving. Look on Craigslist for 75 gal systems and make that your target.

A 10 gal SW tank presents a host of problems and when you start having issues and deaths you'll only get discouraged.

We are about promoting the love of the hobby. Sometimes, that includes telling people things they don't want to hear.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will secound that one very good advice hope they listen...ten gallon tank then buy a tang or something like that and wonder why it died lol...unbelievable..
Old 03-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

You MIGHT be able to do a $75 10 gallon tank to start with but it won't be that cost by the time you are finished. For a 10 gallon one fish and one only a damsel. They are very very mean and it will most likely not want another fish any where around it. I have a 24 gallon with just 1 damsel living in it.

I got a 12 gallon jbj set up for 60 it was a total mess. I gave to to a friend after I got it up and going. He has one damsel in it and that is all. Those deals are few and very far between. I spent more hours getting that tank presentable than anything.

It can be done but you are going to have to wait for a deal like I got the only thing I replaced was the sand it was crushed coral and I regular live sand for it.

While you are waiting for a good deal like I got start researching. You will find even buying used you will be spending about $100 per gallon so a 10 gallon tank will cost you about $1000 the first year and by the time you get done with that first year you will want to upgrade.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ryan, have you had any aquariums before, FW? From your name it looks like you are into Yellow Tangs. I understand you aren't ready for a tank large enough to house one, but going small isn't the best way. It is easier (assuming you can afford all the equipment) to have a 125G than it is a 10G. First off, you'll spend $5 - $10 on sand. maybe a little more just to get the LR. You'll want to spend $50 on a bucket of salt. WIth a tank that size you'll be doing a lot of water changes. Right there you are already at $75. No tank, lights, heater, powerheads. I love this hobby, but it isn't a cheap one. You'll find in the long run, if you ignore us and just jump into it, you'll spend even more money on replacing fish, dealing with algae...etc.
You can find some good deals on craigslist, but if this is your first, 30G minimum. Do any of your friends or family have a tank? There also might be a local reef club in your area that can help with finding cheaper setups. $75 won't cut it though..not for the long run at least.

Tags
salt, saltwater, setting up, ten gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com