Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
new to soft coral, have some questions

hi all, i recently started my first reef set up, i have two sets of button polyps, some mushrooms and a nice little patch of starbursts. they have been doing great since i got them a month ago, but i noticed that for the past day and a half, one of my button polyp "patches" hasnt been opening up like it normally does. about half of the polyps havent opened up for the past day and a half. i did a partial water change last friday night, and noticed that the polyps havent been opening up since about saturday afternoon. the other polyps around them look perfectly fine, and my other frag of polyps on the other side of the tank look great. my star bursts look great, and my pair of clowns and chromis in the tank look fine.

i did some tests, and NH3, nitrite and nitrate all read at 0.0. PH was 8.2, i dont have have a phosphate test kit, but i have been getting some algae growth although no cyano-type.

should i be worried that these polyps havent opened up for the past few days? anything i can do to help them open up? any help would be appreciated, im sorry, im not too familiar with the terminology just yet, and im still a newbie when it comes to reef tanks. thanks in advance.

LONO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Pictures would help. The tank was cycled properly, right? The algae could be any number of things, so pics there would be great too. Now, are we talking about GSP type polyps, or Zoa/paly type polyps?
55g Reef Build
Macscale is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, question, questions, soft, soft coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com