New to SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lance M.

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've never had a SW tank but I was just wondering about live rock. If I wanted to set up a reef tank what type of live rock would be best? And what kinds of animals can hitch a ride in from the rock?

I just hope that when you start your saltwater tank you don't do the same like with your freshwater, how are you able to keep all those fish and inverts in just a 10 Gallon. My god that evil.

lol. It's not bad surprisingly there is enough swimming space. I keep the water conditions constant all the time. I have a 20 gallon power filter that cycles the water fast keeping it clean and plenty of movement on the water's surface for oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange. When I get a SW, I won't have a lot of fish. I like the coral and inverts a lot. I'm good with shrimp. But for both SW and FW bottoms feeders are awesome.

Hey Fishboy the post you just left, should not have been left. We are not judges and jurors here at AA, just people helping people. We are not out to try and hurt someone with our unthoughtful, hurtful comments. Please think about your comments a little more before you leave them. This is a family oriented site, and AA prides itself in the friendliness of the Administration, Moderators, and Users. :wink:

As for the question, Lr from Liverocks.com I here are awesome. Lots of things can hike along like, starfish, crabs, shrimp, and a variety of other cool critters. :wink:

Ha. I've had people do that to me before too. Doesn't matter. It's not like they can come and arrest me for liking fish! I'm excelent about the matenience though. 50% water change every week. I haven't lost a fish in about a year with this set-up. *knock on wood*

Lol. These were some quick replies. I'd like to see more people posting here so I can get a better idea of what is good that comes with live rock and what is bad that may come with live rock. And what kind is the best? I've heard tonga is very good for hiding places in such, but it's expensive. I'll check back tomorrow.

i'm going with haitian lr for my sw tank.......i've been told from a number of different sources that it is the best lr out there? i'm fairly new so i'm sure the vets have their thoughts as well.

;iverocks.com gets the highest praise at this site. I have never ordered from them but hear great things. I like Fiji and Carribbian LR. Remember thta the denser the rock the heavier it is. It looks like you get more fr your money by going with a less dense rock.

Hey Fishboy, I didnt get the joke, but I am sorry. :wink:
I have been jumped in the past and it's not very fun, and I thought that is what you were doing. My bad............ :D

Anyway, I am the most un-uptight Rev. you'll ever meet. :lol:

I am a newbie to the SW world. Always kept FW.
I went with LR.com. based from all the recommendations.
The LR is full of life.

you get lots of life on and in the rock. I have so many feather dusters I can’t count them,Star Fish, Crabs, snails, The rocks are covered in awesome colors of purple algae. I even got a fish, A goby. He's chillin in the tank now.

You may or may not want all the hitchers. I found a Mantis Shrimp at the bottom of the bag the LR came in. Just swimming around. I think I have one in the tank too. I can hear a clicking sound come from the tank. maybe it's a Pistol Shrimp.

Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom