Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Im going to my LFS to pick up some RO water today, so i might as well pick up some crabs. my wife wanted to get the damsels out this morning but my LFS doesnt open till 10. i dont want to stress out the fish, so i will take them out this weekend. Also, i have been meaning to post some pics of my tank. i have my camera but my wife has the cord, . Either way, i will post them up before the days end. Last night i added 40lbs of rock, so i am about 130- 140lbs and my tank is a little cloudy. I wanted to add some more coral to the tank. What do you suggest?

Old 04-26-2007, 10:46 AM   #32
AA Team Emeritus

I'd check the ammonia and nitrates. Ammonia in case any of the new rock had any die-off. Even still with the existing 100 lbs, you shouldn't have a problem. I'd still check the water.

Last water change? Maybe time for another.

No more rock needed IMO. Coral additions down the road will add a bit more anyway.

Gonna have a REAL hard tiome catching those fish with all that rock in there BTW. My guess is you'll have to remove 80% to catch'm. Good luck.

Tank cloudy too? I'd concentrate on moving the rocks and catching the fish. Assuming you'll add more when you do (the clowns maybe??), I'd do a water change after moving all that rock and wait for a few days or a week to add anything else. Try a few mushrooms first. Afterwards, try a leather (kenya tree is pretty hardy and easy).

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
The damsels come to the glass of the tank when im going to feed them, so i will entice them with food and catch them with the net. it shouldnt be that bad. will the UV Sterilizer clear up the water as well?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:06 PM   #34
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm coming into this thread a bit late but thought I would get a refresher...how long has this tank been set up? If you are still adding large amounts of LR I would not suggest adding coral right now. Even with cured LR that comes from a local LFS is still going to have a certain amount of die off due to time out of the water and that can effect your tank. I think my tank was nearly 6 months old before I put any coral in it.

I agree with getting the devils I mean damsels out of the tank! Austinsdad is right you will have to remove most if not all the rock to get those little turkeys out. Been there and done that!

The algae you are seeing is most likely diatoms and they will come and go through the life of your tank. Not to worry that is a sign of cycle...
Old 04-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, i have had the tank running for about 2 months now. i went to a new LFS nearby and they were selling me a pair of black and white clowns for a really good price that i couldnt possibly pass up on. i will buy them this weekend. Also, i am going to be doing my water changes with RO water. What are the advantages of doing it with RO water versus regular salt water from my LFS?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

RO water is Fresh water that is 99%+ pure. No nasty stuff in it. So if you have RO water you are still going to need to mix it with a salt mix to get SW. I would not buy water from an LFS because I don't know how they mixed it or how old the filters are on their RO/DI unit. I have too much invested in my tank to trust someone else for that task. Also you should top off your tank with RO water and not tap or SW. There will be a certain amount of evaporation and only the water leaves not the salt.

2 months is not very long in the world of a reef tank. Becareful of adding a lot to a new tank as your biological filter may not be able to keep up with the demand! After you add the clowns I would not add anymore fish or inverts for at least a month. Your tank really needs to mature a bit. I definately would not add any more coral to the tank for at least a month and 2 would be better. Coral does not forgive as easily as fish can/do.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah im going to get 10 gallons of RO water this afternoon. my filter is doing a great job. my water levels are right where they need to be at. My hardness is a little high at 17. Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia all at 0. Calcium at 450. Everything is wonderful. Salinity is at 1.024. i think i have great water quality.

By the way, My UV sterilizer just came in!!! WOOT WOOT!!!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with holding still for a bit after you change the fish and add rock. I know it's very hard to be patient - this stuff is exciting. I've been there, Added stuff too fast and had problems. Easier said than done, but try. Move the rock if you have to. Switch the fish. Do the water change, and sit still for a few weeks.

I know it'll be hard, but it'll pay off, believe me.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:45 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

i am not in a hurry either. i have been very patient. i added some hermit crabs today. 10 to be exact.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com