Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

also quick qest, when a little bit of water evaperates am i supposed to add fresh water or salt water and is if fresh water do i need to add any chemicals to it before i put it in ?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseramentol

so when you say an hour a day im guessing the 10 to 12 hrs its weekly not daily?
Sorry I may have worded it wrong...

You want to run the blues for 12 hours each day (say 10am-10pm, then run the whites for ten hours each day (11am - 9pm). That way the blues are on by themselves in the morning and evening for one hour. Make sense?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

this is some pictures of the new light and also of the new live rock i got, let me know if you guys think that light is okay
http://i44.tinypic.com/vnlf0x.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2uf68as.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/wwg5ug.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/a9yd0k.jpg
Old 03-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
also quick qest, when a little bit of water evaperates am i supposed to add fresh water or salt water and is if fresh water do i need to add any chemicals to it before i put it in ?
The water that evaporates is pure fresh water, this makes the remaining water in the tank become more salty. So you need to add FRESH water. Water conditioner is a must if you are using tap water, most recommend "Prime", it's a white bottle with a reddish label, you can find it at most pet stores.

You need to make sure you keep the water level at the same height to make sure your salinity is stable. You could draw a line so you have a rough idea where to top it up each day.

I have never had a tank that small so I can't tell you how much evaporation its likely to have but if you keep a cover on it (glass etc) then you will have much less. Personally I don't like to cover my tanks as I want to get a good gas exchange with the water and air, the payoff is that I have to put over a gallon a day of fresh water into my 72g. I use what's called an Auto Top Off or ATO. It is a float switch in my sump (tank below my main tank that houses filtration) and when the level drops it powers a pump from a container of FW and fills it up automatically. This makes it much easier on a bigger system and keeps the salinity stable. It is possible to rig a DIY ATO up for a cheap solution (as i have on both my tanks) but it is kind of ugly in a display tank and better suited for a sump.

Another thing, surface agitation is very important, you don't want any still water on the surface, if you have enough agitation on the surface then you don't need an airstone, which is good because all airstones do in a SW tank is create salt creep (when salt builds up on the outside of the tank and makes a mess). Also one thing worth mentioning is that you want the tank temp as close to 78 degrees as you can, if you have it hotter then that will also contribute to more unwanted evaporation.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Nice looking light, is that the marineland LEDs?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Light looks cool, nice rocks too. Have you been testing the water yet? Have you began a cycle with an ammonia source?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomStav View Post
Sorry I may have worded it wrong...

You want to run the blues for 12 hours each day (say 10am-10pm, then run the whites for ten hours each day (11am - 9pm). That way the blues are on by themselves in the morning and evening for one hour. Make sense?
yea makes more sense now so can i just leave it on for 10 hrs a day with both lights on without a problem and turn it off at night since its in my room?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Nice looking light, is that the marineland LEDs?
yes its a marineland light got it at petsmart for 40 dollars lol
Old 03-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Light looks cool, nice rocks too. Have you been testing the water yet? Have you began a cycle with an ammonia source?
no not yet i just built my tank on weds and i put more salt water in it today before asking the quest dummy me lol is that going to affect my cycle or not and if so how can i fix it

also what do you mean by water agitation on the top, i have 2 filters that drop water into the tank on the top so the water is constantly moving if thats what you mean?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

yea makes more sense now so can i just leave it on for 10 hrs a day with both lights on without a problem and turn it off at night since its in my room?
Yea sure, when you have corals you should get a light timer (Walmart sells cheap ones for $10) so they get a regular day & night.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com