new to the hobbie and new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any updates?

i ended up getting an LED marineland light so worth the money,still havent put any fishes in my water i tested it and the ammonia an nitrate were at 0 but my nitrites were high idk y so im giving it another weekend

i ended up getting a 55 gallon and i kinda need help with the euipment if you guys can make me a list of the items i need for that size tank it would be awsome for example what kind of filter ect....:thanks:

joseramentol said:
i ended up getting an LED marineland light so worth the money,still havent put any fishes in my water i tested it and the ammonia an nitrate were at 0 but my nitrites were high idk y so im giving it another weekend

i ended up getting a 55 gallon and i kinda need help with the euipment if you guys can make me a list of the items i need for that size tank it would be awsome for example what kind of filter ect....:thanks:

That's a good led fixture, did you get the double bright one that's capable for corals?

For a 55g you can check out my thread cuz I'm setting one up right now. Look into adding a sump. Can be done really easy with a rubbermaid container and some PVC, easy.

That's a good led fixture, did you get the double bright one that's capable for corals?

For a 55g you can check out my thread cuz I'm setting one up right now. Look into adding a sump. Can be done really easy with a rubbermaid container and some PVC, easy.

yea i got the reef capable one so i can throw some clown fishes in there with some anenome since the baby is always going to be playing with that 1, i was thinking of making the 55 a little more aggresive prob do a shark with a lion fish and an eel dont know yet

yea i definetly will check it out, im planning on making this 1 a self made project so im going to try making everything from a stand to a sump to overflow system lol hopefully everything works great even though im still a little confused with the whole flow system :confused:

joseramentol said:
yea i got the reef capable one so i can throw some clown fishes in there with some anenome since the baby is always going to be playing with that 1, i was thinking of making the 55 a little more aggresive prob do a shark with a lion fish and an eel dont know yet

yea i definetly will check it out, im planning on making this 1 a self made project so im going to try making everything from a stand to a sump to overflow system lol hopefully everything works great even though im still a little confused with the whole flow system :confused:

You won't find a shark for a 55g, the smallest sharks like the cat sharks need a minimum 200+g... You could go for a dwarf lionfish, a snowflake eel may work in a 55 but they do get big...

Once I get my tank together this week I'll make a video showing how it all works, might help you understand sumps etc.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but those reef capable lights arent' really "reef capable", you might be able to keep some mushrooms but no way can they support an anemone. :-(

I hope it will be a dwarf lion fish for a small tank plus tank needs to be mature and have really good stable conditions for a anemone and you can forgot about the shark lol seems like your new to the hobby based on what u say so please do a lot of research its easy to buy something and put it in a tank but giving it a proper living conditions where it will e comfortable and healthy is what's needed

Just noticed it says in your title your new to the hobby lol just do a lot of research and you should be fine

TomStav said:
Once I get my tank together this week I'll make a video showing how it all works, might help you understand sumps etc.

I'm very interested in this video. I've read about dumps but I cannot visualize how it works and I need to see it in action. I'm planning a 55gal reef tank (have made zero purchases towards it so far!) and then yesterday my husband said I should get a sump and now I'm thinking maybe I should. I was planning on a protein skimmer, refugium and a penguin bio wheel filter... But if you make a video that helps me understand sumps I'll go that route since it seems like that's what people think works best.

Joseramentol- I'll be following along here. I'm finding this thread really interesting and I hope everything is coming along! Www.liveaquaria.com (I think that's the right address) has alot of information on all kinds of fish, inverts and corals and stuff. I've found it very useful in deciding what fish I want and what their needs are.

Bearchumjs said:
I'm very interested in this video. I've read about dumps but I cannot visualize how it works and I need to see it in action. I'm planning a 55gal reef tank (have made zero purchases towards it so far!) and then yesterday my husband said I should get a sump and now I'm thinking maybe I should. I was planning on a protein skimmer, refugium and a penguin bio wheel filter... But if you make a video that helps me understand sumps I'll go that route since it seems like that's what people think works best.

Joseramentol- I'll be following along here. I'm finding this thread really interesting and I hope everything is coming along! Www.liveaquaria.com (I think that's the right address) has alot of information on all kinds of fish, inverts and corals and stuff. I've found it very useful in deciding what fish I want and what their needs are.

I'll post it to my 55g build thread, probably in a week or so...

joseramentol said:
i heard a 580gph

That's enough if you have other means of flow, such as power heads in the DT. The mag 7 is 700gph but you have to account for the power loss referred to head pressure, my pump has to pump up 4ft head before it gets to the DT, so actually my mag 7 will run about 500ish GPH.

I do recommend the Danner/ Pondmaster pumps, I have four and have never had any issues, plus you can run them internally or externally.

That's enough if you have other means of flow, such as power heads in the DT. The mag 7 is 700gph but you have to account for the power loss referred to head pressure, my pump has to pump up 4ft head before it gets to the DT, so actually my mag 7 will run about 500ish GPH.

oh you see that is some good info i didnt know :ROFLMAO: ill prob have to get about a 700 also since my fish tank is going to be in a pretty high stand how tall did you make yours?

also for the overflow were exactly does it have to sit the pipe that gets the water in, does it have to be right on the water top or can it be lower

joseramentol said:
oh you see that is some good info i didnt know :ROFLMAO: ill prob have to get about a 700 also since my fish tank is going to be in a pretty high stand how tall did you make yours?

also for the overflow were exactly does it have to sit the pipe that gets the water in, does it have to be right on the water top or can it be lower

My DIY stands about 3'.

For an overflow, you have 3 main options...

1) you buy a hang on the back (HOB) overflow ($40+) then attach PVC or flexi pipe to drain into the sump. Pros are its fairly cheap, easy add-on. Cons are if the power stops you can risk breaking the siphon and flooding.

2) DIY PVC HOB, same as above except it's really cheap, ($15ish) pros and cons the same as above. I have this on my 72G, works great.

3) you drill the tank through the back or the bottom, MUST make sure it's not tempered glass (tempered glass breaks when drilling, bottoms usually are, backs are occasionally) you can do this at most glass shops (around $10-$15 per hole). Then you put a bulkhead (get them on eBay for around $5-10). Then you get an overflow box (3-sided without back) and silicone it in around the hole. Most expensive option, but it is the best. This is what I'm doing on my 55 build thread.

You might want to wait for me to upload that video when my tanks setup so you have a good idea of how it works.

My DIY stands about 3'.

For an overflow, you have 3 main options...

1) you buy a hang on the back (HOB) overflow ($40+) then attach PVC or flexi pipe to drain into the sump. Pros are its fairly cheap, easy add-on. Cons are if the power stops you can risk breaking the siphon and flooding.

2) DIY PVC HOB, same as above except it's really cheap, ($15ish) pros and cons the same as above. I have this on my 72G, works great.

3) you drill the tank through the back or the bottom, MUST make sure it's not tempered glass (tempered glass breaks when drilling, bottoms usually are, backs are occasionally) you can do this at most glass shops (around $10-$15 per hole). Then you put a bulkhead (get them on eBay for around $5-10). Then you get an overflow box (3-sided without back) and silicone it in around the hole. Most expensive option, but it is the best. This is what I'm doing on my 55 build thread.

You might want to wait for me to upload that video when my tanks setup so you have a good idea of how it works.

well i was planning on a diy pvc overflow just cause my glass is tempered and i cant drill it

Back
Top Bottom