new to the hobbie and new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Basically... You have a tank under your display tank (sump) with a skimmer in it and some live rock (LR). That's your filter. Then you put some power heads in the DT to make sure you have lots of flow.

For a skimmer get something rated much higher than a 55g, for my 55 I have an AquaC EV-120, which is rated up to 120G.

The sump on my 72g has 4 sections, one where the water drains in from the DT (display tank), and a skimmer, then one with LR, then one as a refuge (where I keep my algae), then one with the return pump.

once I pick up my tank from the glass shop I'll make a video and walk you through the basics of the setup.

joseramentol said:
k im sorry guys im just a little lost so i use live rock as filtration a skimmer and what else what do i use as a filter?

It took me awhile to come to terms with that too!

I look at a sump like an open top canister filter....LOL! It is like a canister but open. Your drain from the tank should dump into a filter sock to get all the big gunk(like the floss in a canister). Then to a refugium with live rock or sand with cheato to absorb nitrates(like the biorings in a canister). then the return section back to the display tank. You can also use carbon or other tools in your sump (just like a canister). Understand better?

TomStav said:
Canisters a really bad for SW

And you have how much experience in salt water and canisters please do explain how they are so horrible?

It's not that they're horrible for SW; on the contrary. Without a sump, I'd probably use a canister filter and just clean it out every week to keep it from creating nitrates in my system.

But the OP has a sump; so why bother with the extra maintenance? Get a skimmer to remove some POCs before they turn into ammonia and you're good to go.

Patrick93 said:
And you have how much experience in salt water and canisters please do explain how they are so horrible?

I'm just saying that he is considering a sump which in my opinion is a better option than a closed filter system where you have to clean it weekly or risk a build up of detritus that can lead to a rise in nitrates. I had some canisters on a SW tank for a few years and just don't recommend it, they kept the water polished but just were not worth the effort, a sump just seems so much more efficient.

If you disagree thats great, share your reasonings and convince me otherwise. Just trying to help out someone who is new to the hobby, I am no expert, nor do I claim to be.

TomStav said:
I'm just saying that he is considering a sump which in my opinion is a better option than a closed filter system where you have to clean it weekly or risk a build up of detritus that can lead to a rise in nitrates. I had some canisters on a SW tank for a few years and just don't recommend it, they kept the water polished but just were not worth the effort, a sump just seems so much more efficient.

If you disagree thats great, share your reasonings and convince me otherwise. Just trying to help out someone who is new to the hobby, I am no expert, nor do I claim to be.

I have have tanks with diff filtration and yes the sump is efficient no doubt in that but the tank with the canister also never has issue I got couple weeks sometimes with out any water issues and I test about 2-3 times a week with API and salifert test kits canisters sell for a reason cuz they work and get the job done and like anything that's unattended bad things happen I believe that ppl need to relax and stop making canisters sound so bad cause they really aren't and I wouldn't go as extreme as saying you gotta clean it weekly that's just giving yourself extra work a person don't need but if a person has an option with a sump then that's better cuz removes all the junk (heaters ext) out of the display tank and nothing builds on the top layer of the water

I have have tanks with diff filtration and yes the sump is efficient no doubt in that but the tank with the canister also never has issue I got couple weeks sometimes with out any water issues and I test about 2-3 times a week with API and salifert test kits canisters sell for a reason cuz they work and get the job done and like anything that's unattended bad things happen I believe that ppl need to relax and stop making canisters sound so bad cause they really aren't and I wouldn't go as extreme as saying you gotta clean it weekly that's just giving yourself extra work a person don't need but if a person has an option with a sump then that's better cuz removes all the junk (heaters ext) out of the display tank and nothing builds on the top layer of the water

I think I got the gist of what you're saying. Please use punctuation next time; kind of hard to read everything ;)

I think canisters are great, don't get me wrong. But there's no doubt they require more maintenance than a skimmer. A skimmer removes POCs from your system before they break down into ammonia/nitrates. A filter just removes nitrates after the POCs have already broken down. I'd rather remove a good amount of the POCs from my system before they become an issue. LR can handle the rest of the filtration just fine.

I have and do run each of the available filtration, canister, hang on filter, berlin sump and a refugium sump.

If you already have the sump by all means uss it. Gives you soo many more options for EVERYTHING. I wasn't convinced until I actually set one up and now I can't believe how great they are. LOL

My canister of course requires the most upkeep but it's minutes a week. I think as far as time they are all about the same. You still have to change filter socks and dump the skimmer cup with a sump so there's a couple minutes a week.

I also have run a skimmer with a canister and with a hang on filter, all with no issues.

well on the box it says it is reef capable and i asked my lfs and they told me yes it was that in fact 1 of them have it in their 10 gallon tank and it works perfect, thats the size tank im using it on

NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU ACTUALLY READ THIS SINCE YOU DIDN'T COMMENT TO WHAT CAREY SAID

that marineland "reef capable" fixture WILL NOT support an anemone or any corals above low to medium light.

there are LED fixtures that do, it's just that the marineland one is way too week.
it uses 1W LEDs & wont do much other than mushrooms & maybe zoas

NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU ACTUALLY READ THIS SINCE YOU DIDN'T COMMENT TO WHAT CAREY SAID

that marineland "reef capable" fixture WILL NOT support an anemone or any corals above low to medium light.

there are LED fixtures that do, it's just that the marineland one is way too week.
it uses 1W LEDs & wont do much other than mushrooms & maybe zoas

****** wish the guy from the store would have told me that i specifically said i wanted to get some anemone and stuff like that,but oh well i guess ill have to stick to mushrooms and zoas since i cant return it i believe

thank you for the info

ughhh i tested my water today again and for some reason my nitrites are not going down what am i doing wrong here everything else is already at perfect mu ammonia my nitrates except for the dam nitrites lol

Nitrites seem like they take the longest IMO. You not doing nothing wrong . Just keep an eye on the ph to make sure it doesn't crash and keep at it. It will happen.

Nitrites seem like they take the longest IMO. You not doing nothing wrong . Just keep an eye on the ph to make sure it doesn't crash and keep at it. It will happen.

yea the guy at lfs told me to give it about another week but then again thats what he said last week also, so its not my fault then? it just takes a while, thats good to know then
thank you

****** wish the guy from the store would have told me that i specifically said i wanted to get some anemone and stuff like that,but oh well i guess ill have to stick to mushrooms and zoas since i cant return it i believe

thank you for the info

Where'd you get it from? go back to the store & explain that they gave you HORRIBLE info & you want your $$ back..

Back
Top Bottom