new to the hobbie and new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joseramentol said:
yea thats were i got the idea from well every idea like my wet/dry filter lol its all in the process i will post pics once done

When you say wet dry filter, how do you plan on setting it up

+1 on no wet/dry

Live rock and good flow is the best filtration for SW tanks. Up your rock to between 10-15 lbs and just stick with regular PWCs. You'll be fine.

pwc = partial water changes

In tanks that small, you don't need a skimmer, or a canister filter. Just change a good 10-20% of the water or so and you'll be fine.

I was reading the thread and saw that an led fixture wouldn't be able to keep any corals or be reef capable and would like to know what fixture can?

I was reading the thread and saw that an led fixture wouldn't be able to keep any corals or be reef capable and would like to know what fixture can?

well on the box it says it is reef capable and i asked my lfs and they told me yes it was that in fact 1 of them have it in their 10 gallon tank and it works perfect, thats the size tank im using it on

pwc = partial water changes

In tanks that small, you don't need a skimmer, or a canister filter. Just change a good 10-20% of the water or so and you'll be fine.

oh k well this is for my 55 not my 10 gall, also will a canister filter be good enough for it ?

I think your still talking about the 55g right. You want the sump to be as big as you can fit, use live rock as your main filtration and for a 55 a skimmer would be a good investment.

Just asking because I want to start a reef and just want to make sure if I have the right lighting

oh k well this is for my 55 not my 10 gall, also will a canister filter be good enough for it ?

I'm personally not a fan of canister filters. They can house nitrates if not cleaned properly and regularly. I'd get a skimmer slightly over rated for you tank and put it in your sump. Don't get a HOB skimmer if you have room in your sump.

I'm personally not a fan of canister filters. They can house nitrates if not cleaned properly and regularly. I'd get a skimmer slightly over rated for you tank and put it in your sump. Don't get a HOB skimmer if you have room in your sump.

k im sorry guys im just a little lost so i use live rock as filtration a skimmer and what else what do i use as a filter?

I think your still talking about the 55g right. You want the sump to be as big as you can fit, use live rock as your main filtration and for a 55 a skimmer would be a good investment.

k im sorry guys im just a little lost so i use live rock as filtration a skimmer and what else what do i use as a filter?

joseramentol said:

That's it. The bacteria in your LR will Do all the work. You have a sump tank below where you can store your skimmer, heater, and extra LR, also you can put some chaeto plant in there with a light (uses nutrients= removes nitrates).

That's it. The bacteria in your LR will Do all the work. You have a sump tank below where you can store your skimmer, heater, and extra LR, also you can put some chaeto plant in there with a light (uses nutrients= removes nitrates).

wow sorry you guys have totally lost me now :confused: its k ill see if i do some research

Back
Top Bottom