Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to the hobby, help with possible reef upgrade?

I just finally cycled my 20 gallon tank. I was planning to have a fish only, but re thinking I may want to later add some easy to keep corals. My tank consist of live and dry rock with a crushed coral substrate. I run a Tidel 55 filter that does a great job, and a Fluval flourescent light fixture. First question what fish (other than Clowns) would be good for starters. Secondly what simple light upgrade, that wont break the bank, if I add simple corals. Thanks for your input.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Firefish or tailspot would go nice with clowns. I'd recommend an AI prime HD.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Firefish is a good recommendation. Check out the 'nano fish' section on liveaquaria.com. They have what I think are the best tank size requirements around and can help you look around to what will match what you are looking to do best.
In terms of lighting, the lighting products from AI and Ecotech are amazing products. But they are pricey. I usually recommend the 'taotronic' LED black box panels. They put out amazingly intense lighting for the best pricing around IMO. Since this is a 20 gallon, you could also get away with a PAR38 bulb if you are looking at corals on the 'lower' level of lighting requirements.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 10:53 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

The Crushed coral bothers me as they can cause high nitrates. It traps food and fish waste and the result is higher nitrates that will be harmful to your future corals. You will have to do frequent PWC'S. Good luck on your tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Firefish is a good recommendation. Check out the 'nano fish' section on liveaquaria.com. They have what I think are the best tank size requirements around and can help you look around to what will match what you are looking to do best.
In terms of lighting, the lighting products from AI and Ecotech are amazing products. But they are pricey. I usually recommend the 'taotronic' LED black box panels. They put out amazingly intense lighting for the best pricing around IMO. Since this is a 20 gallon, you could also get away with a PAR38 bulb if you are looking at corals on the 'lower' level of lighting requirements.
Thanks for the info
Old 07-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for your recommendations. I think I need to crawl around a while before thinking about corals.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

If I start out with a firefish or a Cardnial or Blennie. At what point can I add a shrimp or hermit crab? I don't have any algae growth, so what would you suggest? Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
The Crushed coral bothers me as they can cause high nitrates. It traps food and fish waste and the result is higher nitrates that will be harmful to your future corals. You will have to do frequent PWC'S. Good luck on your tank.
If I kept my tank as fish only with some shrimp and hermits, do you think I will have a problem with the crushed coral substrate? Thanks
Old 07-20-2019, 12:11 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The issue with crushed coral is that uneaten food and poop gets caught in the crushed coral easily. If you take care of the substrate like you would that colored gravel in a freshwater tank it shouldn't be an issue...one can hope.

In terms of adding crabs and such, you can add them at any time once you are cycled. They have minimal bioload.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newb

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com