New to the saltwater world.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I test my water often and my levels are where they need to be. I have 2 clown 2 diamond gobe 14 snails 1 domino damsel 2 yellow tail damsels and a yellow tang and they all seem to be doing great they swim all day long.

Yes I did a 25% water change and today I did a 10% change cause I thought maybe that would help with the problem I'm having. But it didn't I was just wondering what it may be. I read online that it can be part of the cycle.

It is, but the point everyone is making is that your tank is not cycled, and shouldn't have livestock in it. It is both inhumane and inefficient. Having livestock in the tank actually slows down the cycle and creates more work because you have to do PWC to keep things alive.

So should I take the fish out into a tank with only water till it cycles?

No, there is nothing you can do at this point besides keeping up with PWC. Unless you can return the fish, or have someone with a cycled tank that will look after them for you.

The tank will cycle, it just takes a little while. Your LFS really steered you the wrong way unfortunately.

Did you say anemone? Won't live a cycle, sorry to say. I would try and remove the clowns if you could, and possibly the damsels, too. I mean, they could easily live if you keep up on water changes, but then the cycle will take months rather than weeks.

Also, the little white baby star fish you mentioned are probably asterinas. Can be quite a nuisance if nothing in the tank eats them. They multiply like rats.

I am going to try and take them to a friend so it can cycle.

U should just keep up the PWC. Get some rowa phos to eliminate the phosphates. Use ro or ro/di water. Get some pro reef salt mix, preferably top marin. Clear out as much of that algae as possible before. U should have got just the live rock and sand, covered up let the tank so no light gets in (algae blooms won't happen without light) and leave it running for a few weeks. Good water and salt help because they are purer, so there are less bad elements for algae to thrive in, the algae cycle will be over and ur tank will be clean. damsels will become more aggressive and might kill something. Ur starfish is a hitch hiker from the sand or rock. If it is asterina it is a nuisance like aptasia. Take my advice for what it's worth, I was in ur situation.

Asterina stars aren't considered bad hitch hikers, had several in all of my tanks. Good CUC and they are free. When they split I gave some away.

Thanks I'm new to this whole forum thing... Always read threads but never post. Please correct me if I'm mistaken about any info. Don't want to mislead people. What works for me might not for someone else.

Absolutely, that is the beauty of this hobby, everyone has different experience. Every coral banded shrimp I have had was a demon, but plenty of people on here have no issues with them. Everyone has good info, again welcome to the site!

Thanks again. although I've heard of some species of asterina eating coral the ones on the glass just eat algae. I would just make sure they don't move on to your coral but they do reproduce fast.

tmgixxer said:
I am going to try and take them to a friend so it can cycle.

This is a great idea. Also dont addcanything to your tank that you cant test for. Algae/plants thrive on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are the next best things for them. If you have algae your tests will be a little skewed because the algae is utilizing them. Ro/di water is always a great idea. There will always be those that prefer one salt over another, butin truth many find success with each brand, so imo not too big of a deal.

My tank does not have a cover on top and I have noticed my water evaporates very fast. The tank is located in the basement of my house and it's not near any window. Should I buy a top for the tank?

I would look into it. My tank chewed through water for a while in till it brought up the humidity in the house. Water consumption even may vary with the weather

Back
Top Bottom