New to the saltwater world.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmgixxer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there I'm new to the saltwater world and I have had my tank (75 gal) running for about 3 weeks. I have 2 damsels and 2 clown in the tank helping the cycle. But I am getting brown algae like dust on my sand and live rock. I also have some corals that seem to be doing great. Any advice please????

Lol what cycle wars should I be scared for my fish and anemone? I also have some small white thing on my glass it looks like a baby star fish. I tried to post a picture but my iPhone didn't let me.

lol no i'm just waitng for the angry mob that goes along with doing a cycle with fish

Is it harder to do it with fish? At my local fish store they told me that I should put them in so they can help get the bio going. Sorry so many questions I just wanna do it rite and not kill so many fish lol.

not harder just cruel and more expensive with the probable loss of life. Most put a raw shrimp in to get there ammonia source as it basically rots. Then remove and wait and do partial water changes, to sum it up.

Do you suggest I still do that? Or should I just let the fish take care of it?

I would not suggest that unless you are able to return the fish. At this point I would just stay on top of the water changes to keep ammonia down.

My ammonia has been down I am using prime to keep it under control. My nitrite is a bit high last I tested was at 0.2.

Extremely cruel and inefficient, don't listen to that LFS again. He obviously just wanted to sell a fish. Cycling with fish takes longer then using raw shrimp or pure ammonia. Too late now, just stay up on the water changes, and those damsels are going to get aggressive and difficult to remove from the tank.

Just read that you have corals in the system as well, you have really gotten off to a bad start, however it isn't unsalvagable. Frequent water changes will keep the levels down, what kind of lighting and filtration do you have?

i have to agree that fish in cycling isnt the most efficient way to go but it can be done. Just alot more water changers and more testing.

Did you say you have an anemome in there? What kinda lights are you running? if that nem dies you'll have a HECK of a problem.

Yeah the LFS pulled a fast one on you. I wouldn't recommend them for future purposes. Anemones are extremely hard even for advanced aquarists with mature tanks to keep. The damsels should be fine but they will get very aggressive. You could leave the clowns they aren't that aggressive. A good LFS wouldn't have let you cycle with fish...

I have my sump set up and I also have a fluval 405 running with carbon and biomax.

Some of the coral that I have came with my live rock. The fish so far seem fine I have had the damsels in for 2 weeks now and the clowns for 4 days and they seem to be doing fine and they also get along just fine. I have reduced my feeding cause I have a nitrite level of .2.

I noticed that my water had dust like stuff flowing around the tank and I did a water change and it's still there almost like if sand were circulating. Can anyone help me figure out what it might be.

Cycling with fish is not humane. You are essentially poisoning them with ammonia until the bacteria catches up to the bio load. Clowns and damsels are tougher than most fish and "survive", but it is painful and does frequently kill them.

Back
Top Bottom