Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New to this

Now I have had freshwater tanks for over 5 years now and absolutely love it but now I want a saltwater tank. I look on here and see how a lot of people have them and know a lot about Saltwater tanks !!! So my question's are basic what do start with, what do I need to consider I need MAJOR help with this and I know a lot of you know what you are talking about!!! So please comment on all you can it would greatly appreciated !!!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Start off with this. Some articles hosted here.

Important Information for Those New to the Aquarium HobbyAquarium Advice
Cycle your salt tankAquarium Advice
Ammonia conversion to nitrateAquarium Advice

Once you are done with this, tell us more about what you want, or think you want, to do. Size of the tank, FOWLR or reef...so on. We can start there.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I want to start like a 75 gallon tank, and be a reef ! So where do I go from here !?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be prepared... Once you go saltwater you will ditch all of your freshwater tanks and never go back. Lol
Old 05-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Noo I love my fresh
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I'd start obviously by getting yourself a tank...since you have others telling you to hit up craigslist or whatever should go unsaid.

You will need to figure out filtration first. Unlike fresh, saltwater does not rely on mechanical filtration alone, especially since you want to go reef. You will want a sump setup to go along with your tank. This setup will need to be able to hold a refugium at some point. You can either get yourself a drilled tank, build in overflow, or a HOB overflow.

The main filtration in a saltwater system comes from the rock and sand and the bacteria that grows on it. For sand, I would recommend an agrigate based sand. Dr. Foster and Smith's site has lots of options on their site regarding sand. This will help you balance your pH. As for rock, there are lots of places online you can look. You can get yourself macro rock to save some money, but I would recommend getting some live rock to help you seed this. There are some great prices from sites like saltwaterfish.com in terms of LR, and this is where I order mine from.

Focus on getting your tank and a smaller tank, like maybe a 40 gal breeder or a long tank for this if you are going to make your own. Then research live/macro rock and sand. Once this is set and established, you get to research livestock and what you will want your "must have" fish or coral is going to be. You will then research the rest of your livestock making sure that it is compatible with your "must have" critter.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you have a LFS that stocks or deals with saltwater only? That is a good place to start. Sometimes they have tanks and lighting as well. Go check out some fish, coral and inverts and see what u like. Once you have an idea what you want to put in a tank, go over with someone you trust as some fish and inverts require their own tank. lighting and filtration will vary based on what you stock. Definitly do your research. The more you learn on your own, the better prepared you are to understand what your getting into.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

You will learn a ton from this site people on here have helped me a ton and have made knowledge good luck
Old 05-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Be prepared... Once you go saltwater you will ditch all of your freshwater tanks and never go back. Lol
x2, I'm already planning the demise of my Malawi tank haha

NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com