New to this reef community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Contrerasvic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First time on this site glad I found it as its helped me alot with my 50 reef tank I've had for seven months now it currently house a mooron clownfish a yellowtail damsel pj cardinal blue hipo tang as for coral I got two types of zoas a finger coral some button polyps red mushroom and a branching hammer

Thanks and yea ima uploaded them tonight when i get home Iam still trying to get the hang of it thanks for welcoming me

That's an awesome tank. I only have a 25 gallon, but it has zoas,xenia,mushrooms,torch coral,Kenya tree, and candy cane coral.:D

First time on this site glad I found it as its helped me alot with my 50 reef tank I've had for seven months now it currently house a mooron clownfish a yellowtail damsel pj cardinal blue hipo tang as for coral I got two types of zoas a finger coral some button polyps red mushroom and a branching hammer

Welcome to AA. Tank looks sharp but a word of caution for ya. Watch out for the tang police, you will get an earful and they can be rude.

I am sure you know this but just incase you dont, blue tangs can get up to a foot and need at minimum and 150-250g tank. I am not one to talk with only a 37g reef. Lol but other than that tank looks great! :) and i hope you will be upgradeing from that 110 for the tang right? Or be giving it away once its big.

Mine? Or contrerasvic?

He is referring to your powerhead. Most people use koralias or they go for broke with the high end powerheads. The Maxijets are usually implemented as pumps for media reactors or auto top offs so seeing one with the powerhead attachments is kinda alien. They do work well as powerheads with the only draw back being that they aren't typically stable to mount.

Oh ya, ur right. How did you know it was a maxi jet? And when I bought it I was a begginer so I didn't know which powerheads were best. what are hydrokorolias differen2? Are they smaller? If so I might look into getting one. Are they better? So far this one is working fine for me.

Oh ya, ur right. How did you know it was a maxi jet? And when I bought it I was a begginer so I didn't know which powerheads were best. what are hydrokorolias differen2? Are they smaller? If so I might look into getting one. Are they better? So far this one is working fine for me.

I had a maxijet 1400 when I started. The koralias are good, that's what I used until a couple weeks ago. They move water, they are stable (they have a suction cup magnet that holds them right where you put them), and they are reasonably priced (more than a maxijet but much less than a vortech). The only thing I didn't like was though they claim they will work on a wave maker they don't reliably. This meaning that over time they have a tendency to start in reverse which is dealt with in the design of the front grill, however I found that they will eventually break the rubber bumper off the grill and start in reverse all the time. If you leave them on all the time it's not an issue but on a wavemaker this will become on issue eventually due to the constant on and off of the pump. Hydor was good about it and sent me 6 new grills but it took over a month to receive them and I still had the same issue down the road, I ran a wavemaker. Just a couple weeks ago I splurged and got a couple vortech mp40 powerheads and they are super expensive but I love them. No wavemaker as it's all built in to the controller. Massive flow and they wirelessly sync to each other so work together to create whatever flow pattern I set them to.

One last thing to keep in mind, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Your maxi jet is working well for you so there is no need to change it. Change can create all sorts of problems in a reef tank, small and large. It can also be good or bad. It could be as simple as upgrading a powerheAd and now some of your coral doesn't like the flow change which isn't a big deal if it's on frag plugs but if it's on the rock it can be a big headache to move things to where they are happy again. Personally I would stick with what's working and save a powerhead upgrade for when you do a tank upgrade, and believe me we all want to do a tank upgrade. I'm still working on mine and think about going larger all the time, wife won't let it happen so it stays as a thought kept to myself.

Back
Top Bottom