New used craigslist 29 gal biocube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shady3210

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have had my 75 gallon running for about 8 months now and my wife decides she wants a tank of her own(after she promises to help me with maintenance... we'll see about that). So it's off to craigslist I go.

I picked up a stock 29 Gallon Coralife Biocube. It came with a pair of Ocellaris clowns that look very healthy and bright (which is amazing considering how bad the water smelled...), about 8 lbs of live rock, a sand sifting starfish, and a giant hermit crab(it's a 5" monster) and a heater. I managed to talk the guy down to 80 for everything.

Now onto the fun! Right now everything alive is in the bucket I transported them in with the rock, a heater, and a little HOB filter for surface agitation. I cleaned and setup the tank last night tossed his sand and used some from my 75.

Here are some questions i have run into:

1) He has bioballs and some ceramic rings in the back that I want to get rid of but i'm guessing I should keep these until I can get some more rock in there correct? They are all clean at least.

2) The cf bulbs in the hood need to be replaced. I was thinking of going with 1 antic and 1 50/50 to give it more of a blue look. Could i do this or should i stick with the original 1 white and 1 antic setup? She does want soft coral and maybe an lps or 2 in this.

3) I'd like to move the critters out of their bucket tonight. How long would you drip acclimate the clowns? I don't think their water quality was very good and they will be going to clean water.

4) What other equipment do I need? I'm thinking a small powerhead and maybe a new return pump the stock one seems pretty pathetic.

5) I know sand sifting stars get big and i'v read they tend to eat everything in the sand then die. Thinking I should see if my LFS will take him.

6) Is the big hermit going to be an issue? He seems awfully hungry...

7) And lastly what are opinions on stocking? Are the 2 clowns about max for it? Maybe add some shrimp? Would another small fish be happy in there?

Thanks for the help i'll try and get pics tonight.

There is a chance that monster crab you have may grab a clown if he gets the chance. Good luck with the tank. I want to see pics when it's set up.

Great deal!!! I've seen alot if theese for sale whereby an and just for the tank/stand/lights its like 200.

There is a chance that monster crab you have may grab a clown if he gets the chance. Good luck with the tank. I want to see pics when it's set up.

Ya I have been reading a bit and it seems like they turn pretty predatory when they get big. Decided to put it in my sump for now. Going to see if my LFS will take him and the starfish on trade for a little cuc.

I moved everything out of the bucket. Clowns went in first and they look great. After about 3 hours of drip acclimation the star went in and buried itself and the crab is motoring around my sump munching on algae. I ordered 50 lbs of dry rock from marcos rock today(some is going to my 75) and they have already been shipped out! I should have the rocks by friday,

So my wife seems to be set on adding pajama cardinals to the tank. Would 2 do ok with the clown pair? :fish2:

I got my rocks from marco's today aquascaped it and took some pics! Tank is still a little cloudy from adding the rocks.

img_2303999_0_20c29f50b476a730504129d9eedd743d.jpg

And a shot of the pair. The male decided I was intruding and took a nip at me. :rolleyes:

img_2303999_1_c1be1331e658869c0b5582d548b68f33.jpg

Back
Top Bottom