Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

As we say, "the proof is in the pudding." I always wondered where that saying came from, but you get the idea. I am going to get more scientific about it as observation of coral growth can have a lot of different factors. But the results seem to be that you don't have to spend a fortune to have the advantages of LED and this trend will only accelerate from here.
Greg.,. As you know,...I'm now a total believer in the LED's myself,...I've had my LED's up and running for a few months now and I can honestly say that everything seems to be flourishing beautifully,.... I realize that a good quality fixture is a little on the pricy side up front but are probably a money saver in the long haul,..I for one would not hesitate for even a second to recommend them to a friend,
Even my lfs buddy who hated them has started to come around and no Longer bad mouths them,... " ... The times ,they are a changing" ,.. ( thanks mr.dylan ) ...
__________________

__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Greg.,. As you know,...I'm now a total believer in the LED's myself,...I've had my LED's up and running for a few months now and I can honestly say that everything seems to be flourishing beautifully,.... I realize that a good quality fixture is a little on the pricy side up front but are probably a money saver in the long haul,..I for one would not hesitate for even a second to recommend them to a friend,
Even my lfs buddy who hated them has started to come around and no Longer bad mouths them,... " ... The times ,they are a changing" ,.. ( thanks mr.dylan ) ...
If you have the money, these more advanced fixtures are dimable, have built in timing circuits and uses fewer higher wattage emitters, like Cree. But the Cree LEDs had cooling problems early on, like most things. But the newer US fixtures seem rock solid. I tend to like a simpler approach, which the Chinese are famous for. There were also quality concerns that I have tried to address. The bottom line was price vs effectiveness. I didn't need all the extra features.
__________________

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote

If you have the money, these more advanced fixtures are dimable, have built in timing circuits and uses fewer higher wattage emitters, like Cree. But the Cree LEDs had cooling problems early on, like most things. But the newer US fixtures seem rock solid. I tend to like a simpler approach, which the Chinese are famous for. There were also quality concerns that I have tried to address. The bottom line was price vs effectiveness. I didn't need all the extra features.
Greg ,.my "stark" fixtures uses the Cree LED's and are dimable and I'm not really concerned where they're made ,...They just work fine for me ,... Pm me a link to your LED's I'd like to chek'em out ,...thanks,Dary
__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dary421

Greg ,.my "stark" fixtures uses the Cree LED's and are dimable and I'm not really concerned where they're made ,...They just work fine for me ,... Pm me a link to your LED's I'd like to chek'em out ,...thanks,Dary
Can't do that...forum rules. You can message me and I will send you my email address. The Crees are very nice and there is no doubt they grow corals. They build lots of different devices for their emitters, flashlights being a major market for them. I dabble in high output laser diodes and one of the real tricks for longevity is how the LEDs (especially ones that are designed to be lasers) are heat sinked. While they project little heat, they get hot as blazes. Bigger the led wattage, the more heat it sheds. Grab the business end of a tactical flashlight with a P4 emitter in it and you will feel the heat being dumped into the metal body of the flashlight.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
New video on YouTube of the old fish tank;

__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Dary421's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego,ca
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote
New video on YouTube of the old fish tank;

__________________
Dary421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,325
Thanks Dary. Still working on it and will replace some shots with better ones. I use to work as a filmmaker/photographer, so I really enjoy doing this stuff. Wish my acrylic was in better shape.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Awesome video! It was like watching a fish special on tv. LOL

What is the stock list in there if you don't mind me asking....Are those multiple yellow fish coris wrasses?
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Central PA
Posts: 1,651
Really nice video..
Have you switched your scrubber lights to LED's also?
__________________
Currently rebuilding
QTing is a good thing
Grow your filtration
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Really nice tank Greg!

How have the Angels been behaving? I really like them!

If you go on vacation is the tank sulfa-sustaining? Or do you need someone to come in?

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Please don't forget about the toxins in some corals (like zoas and palythoas)
180 gallon reef announcement!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMgmb124jrs&t=35s
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
led, reef, video

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adam's quest: FOWLR -> Reef AdamHorton Saltwater Reef Aquaria 13 04-17-2012 11:25 PM
why do you like reef aquariums? davidmaguirre Saltwater Reef Aquaria 7 09-11-2011 12:36 AM
14 gallon nano reef starup NYYFan19801 Nano Reefs 7 09-02-2011 11:44 AM
Getting back into Reef Keeping with my Husband of 2 months! littleangel_dawn Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 12 08-21-2011 01:24 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.