New video of LED reef.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gregcoyote said:
Thanks Dary. Still working on it and will replace some shots with better ones. I use to work as a filmmaker/photographer, so I really enjoy doing this stuff. Wish my acrylic was in better shape.

Just when we started to feel good about what our tanks looked like ., along comes this video..as far as MY opinion goes, it shows what actually can be accomplished in this hobby if enough time ,effort and knowledge is combined...... You should feel very proud of what you've done here greg... A job well done !!! I really enjoyed the multiple tangs.

carey said:
Awesome video! It was like watching a fish special on tv. LOL

What is the stock list in there if you don't mind me asking....Are those multiple yellow fish coris wrasses?

1 Gold Midas Blenny
1 Lawn mower Blenny
1 Orange spot goby
2 Maroon clown, mated
4 Yellow tail Blue Damsels. **
6 Canary Wrasse
1 Pseudocromis
1 Fancy Wrasse
1 Flame angel. **
1 Coral Beauty angel. **
1 Blue line angel. *
1 Kole tang
3 Yellow tangs *
1 Purple fire fish
1 Coral banded shrimp
1 Fire shrimp
6 regular starfish
2 Sand starfish
many hermit crabs and snails

* is over 5 years old
** is over 10 years old

only 1 anemone, a volunteer green ball anemone
Soft coral,(2 types) anthilia, Xenia, (4) mushrooms, colt coral, (2) star polyps, (8 types) zoas, green leather
Sponges are all volunteer (3) different varieties
LPS, frogspawn, green hammer, green torch, brain
SPS, (2 types) acro, (2) milliporia, (2) chalice, elkhorn, (2) trumpets, cats paw

I am very proud of how fat my fish are, especially the tangs.

Last edited:
FTMMWS said:
Really nice video..
Have you switched your scrubber lights to LED's also?

Yes, I have added about 350 watts of LEDs concentrated onto a 2'x3' algae turf screen at about 10" The PAR has to be off the charts. but it does cause all the algae (or the vast portion of it) to grow right where I want it to. Water is fed by a 2 gallon dump bucket that empties every 10 seconds. Mostly Brissilus (sp) and green turf algae that the tangs will eat.

redsea said:
Really nice tank Greg!

How have the Angels been behaving? I really like them!

If you go on vacation is the tank sulfa-sustaining? Or do you need someone to come in?

Thanks!

The flame and coral beauty are very good, the blue line likes to pick, but I have sooo many polyps, he never does any harm to any one coral.

The tank can feed the fish for a month without adding anything. They don't like it much, but they can make it. Everything like dosing is automated as well as top off. I don't use a controller as I am too cheap, so I DIY everything. It has run without major error for almost 20 years, but there have been a few close calls. I have somebody stop by and I have video web cameras all over the house and the tank so I can see anything major when away.

Dary421 said:
Just when we started to feel good about what our tanks looked like ., along comes this video..as far as MY opinion goes, it shows what actually can be accomplished in this hobby if enough time ,effort and knowledge is combined...... You should feel very proud of what you've done here greg... A job well done !!! I really enjoyed the multiple tangs.

Thanks Dary! I think it is important to point out what a long term commitment can achieve. All of this stuff grew from tiny frags. I have no green thumb at all. But I had a few ideas about how to do this from running several LFS during college. KISS is the basic principle.

Yes, I have added about 350 watts of LEDs concentrated onto a 2'x3' algae turf screen at about 10" The PAR has to be off the charts. but it does cause all the algae (or the vast portion of it) to grow right where I want it to. Water is fed by a 2 gallon dump bucket that empties every 10 seconds. Mostly Brissilus (sp) and green turf algae that the tangs will eat.
Thanks ,sounds really impressive (y)

Son, that is one stellar tank. Love it. One question though, isn't Dary the one who is supposed to be on mushrooms? :)

rdnelson99 said:
Son, that is one stellar tank. Love it. One question though, isn't Dary the one who is supposed to be on mushrooms? :)

Dary is defiantly on mushrooms. I just grow them! Besides, watching him grow his is more interesting than mine.

Yo Greg your tank is my dream I love it awesome work man 20 years and looking great. I have one question for u. How are your yellow wrasses with your corals I want one so bad but I'm scared he will nip at my corals..

paulweck said:
Yo Greg your tank is my dream I love it awesome work man 20 years and looking great. I have one question for u. How are your yellow wrasses with your corals I want one so bad but I'm scared he will nip at my corals..

I don't see them so much as pick on the polyps, but they are constantly hunting for worms between the polyps. That can cause them to close up temporarily. They seem to bother my zoas the most. Maybe it's a trade off as a worm doesn't have a chance in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom