Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2005, 01:13 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to ace1uno_00
New Wet/Dry filter set up. I'm confused.

My Local PetCo Was just remodeled last month and they now carry Lots of Reef items like Anemones, Corals, Sea Stars, etc.
They had this http://www.proclearaquatics.com/pro_wetdry.htm I got the Pro 150 Model.
I figured i'd try it out. Im confused on how the skimmer works. on the collection cup it has a "drain hose" and its says "To drain bottle. Not supplied" Whats it going to Drain? and it also came with a pump for the skimmer The Cap 2200 the box says that its rated at 800 but the web site says 581 GPH is that good?

I have many more questions.

Thanks Guys.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
ummm ace.. why did you get a wet/dry?
I would avoid them to avoid NO3 8O
you could use LR rubble instead of bio-balls though.. to aviod the NO3 problems..

its going to drain simmulate.. nasty stuff that is.. :P you can get anything to use as a drain container.. some use a gallon jug or big gaterate bottle all the way up to 5 gallon buckets for big skimmers..
well.. it would depend on if the pump is matched well for the skimmer, that I couldnt tell you.. is it a venturi skimmer? it apears that way to me.. youll need the air hose comming off the pump to be above water level for it to work..
hope this helps ace.. good luck :P

Old 11-16-2005, 01:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The cup is where the skimate from your protien skimmer collects. Every so often you need to remove it and empty it. Yours has a drain feature which will allow you to place a container under the hose to collect the skimate allowing more time to pass until you need to do maintenance on the collection cup itself. Any container will do, just know that the skimate can smell so a lid with a hole might be recomended.

Periodically you will still need to remove the cup itself and clean it. If you are not getting a lot of skimate you could also temporarily plug the drain hose and just use the cup.

HTH,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

btw.. you might want to DIY a carbon filter into a vent hole in the collection container.. my bad.. lol
Old 11-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is a Venturi skimmer. Should i ditch that crappy skimmer and upgrade? and what return pump should i use? This is going to be used on a 40 gal. tank.

And yes, i was planning on using live rock rubble instead of those bio-balls.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

compare its size and flow to other venturi skimmers sold and if they are rated for around 80+ gallons it should be suffecent..
Old 11-16-2005, 08:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have this wet/dry as well and I love it. The skimmer skims like crazy and is not "crappy". I did remove the egg create the bioballs sit on as well as all of the bioballs and filled up the middle compartment with 30lbs of LR rubble. BTW, my NO3 is always between 0 and 2.5. As for the skimmer drain hose, I use a 2 liter pop bottle. I drilled a hole in the plastic cap of the bottle for the drain hose to fit snuggly into. I actually left the trickle tray in place and run PURA filtration pads on it. I run a couple bags of chemi-pure on top of the LR rubble. You bought a good unit, with some easy modifications it will be even better.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

ace.. I didnt say it before but venturi skimmers work.. I would keep it if it suited my situation and since your tank is only 40 gallons.. I would assume the skimmer is plenty big..
lando.. how big is that skimmer? what do you think its normal capasity is? around what the sump is rated for?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

sump is rated for 150gal tank. I think it is a bit over-rated but it works great for my 72 gal.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

SWEEEEEEET!!!! sorry for the "crappy" comment. lol
I checked on other forums and they all gave it two thumbs up just changed the bio-balls for live rock.

Lando, What pump do you use for the skimmer and what pump do you use to return the water back to your tank?

And, I do have to run a air pump to the air hose in the venturi right? which do you use to make it "skim like crazy"?

Thanks alot guys.

oh and btw i got the unit for only $37.00 no tax

Tags
dry, filter, set up, wet, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com