New Wrasse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan450z

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got two new fish added to my 75g on Friday. A wrasse (I believe they call it a rainbow wrasse) and a powder blue tang. Both drip acclimated as I do all my fish. Both were doing just fine in store. Very active. Saturday i fed the fish and the rainbow wrasse that was hiding came out to eat and was very active. Powder blue doing fine too. Since then the wrasse has been hiding in the same spot in the rocks and has not come out to eat. What should I do? Move the rocks to get it to come out or just hope it gets more accustomed and comes out? I just don’t want it to die. He still has great color (as much of him as I can see). I feel like one of my angel fish acted the same and took him a week to swim around without fear. Is this normal for wrasse?

Here are two pictures when it actually came out on Saturday. IMG_0601.jpgIMG_0602.jpg

The first thing i would do is make sure your water parameters are okay. Your other fish going well does not necessarily mean your water parameters are okay for new fish. This knowledge can help eliminate some possibilities.

How much rock is in the system? Might be aggression from the tang that's putting the wrasse in hide mode. Also keep in mind that most wrasse hide and bury themselves to sleep, are you looking in before lights out?

Thanks, water is fine. Update: The wrasse just comes out to eat scraps when fish are feeding and just hides in the rocks still at all times of the day. It’s been 3 weeks now. Still appears to be healthy.

Update: he’s starting to come out and swim around more. I’ve introduced new foods, fresh crab meat etc. looks very happy now

Wrasses in general hide for a week to a week and a half when they’re introduced to a new system

if it’s not being picked on then I wouldn’t worry too much

when I buy a wrasse I try to find one that’s eating and that looks fat and healthy

Yours looks pretty healthy should be fine

Back
Top Bottom