Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2006, 11:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Yes Im in the process of making 35 gallons of SW as we speak. Im also making FW as well so Im good! Im HOPING that the tang doesnt come down with anything. They guy I bought him from said he saw no ick at all in over 2 years. We shall see...

Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I thought a half dollar was just slightly larger then a quarter which if was the full size of the tang would seem pretty young to me. Kind of shocked to hear it is already 2+ years old and is still that small. Mine is about the same age and is almost 5" long (head to tail) now.

Glad it's eating and roaming

I assume you bought the bio-wheel from the same person if I read your post correctly so if it was running on the tank with the tang it should easily handle bio-filtration but I'm glad you have 35 gal of SW for backup. I'd keep the bio-wheel for your QT but trash the wheel when you are done, they only run around $4.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well needless to say Im bad with size...I will leave it at that. Could go many different directions but this is a family type board so I wont!!
Anyway after resizing the little guy, he is the size of a tennis ball at least - maybe little bigger.
The bio wheel I had in my sump for like 3 months. I keep 35 gallons running at all times for my main for sure so this will be back up too for the QT.
Yes I will trash the biowheel and LR (rubble) from my sump as well once Im done with it. Im going to QT this tang, then release him once he is good to go and then run about 5-8 more fish through it and then I will be done with all the fish I want.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have another question. I have my tang in the QT since Dec 11 and I see no signs of ick. I know your supposed to keep fish in QT for 6-8 weeks, so with this said how long does it take for ick to show up if the fish has it realistically. Im thinking I will leave him in the QT for at least 5-6 weeks. Hes eating and all appears to be well to this point.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone on my last question??
Old 12-18-2006, 12:08 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Esra
Is there a specific reason you want to cut the quarantine short?
If it's just because you want to see the fish in the tank then definitely do not shorten the QT time.

It's not just in there for Ich prevention, there are a myriad of diseases you want to make sure do not show up in your show tank.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

No reason other than I want to move on to the next fish and put it in the QT tank. Plus this fish didnt come from a LFS. The fish came from a tank that has been set up and running for almost 2 years. The guy I bought him from said he has never had any disease that he knows of in his tank. I have had HORRIBLE luck in the past with the QT tank due to levels being out of whack. THis time all is running well and have had the tang in there for almost a week.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:42 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ofcourse it's up to you but I would just wait the extra time and then get the next fish when the Tang is fully QT'd.

It may be a complete waste of your time, but then again 99% of the time quarantining is, it's to prevent that 1% ruining your show tank that it's done.

Maybe setup another QT if you really can't wait?
Old 12-18-2006, 12:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

So how long do you QT fish? I have heard some say 6 and others say 8 weeks?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:17 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't do SW, but most of my friends to and they all stick to 2 months.

Probably overkill but it doesn't harm anyone.

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com