Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
New yellow tang.

Well I have been preparing to get a yellow tang now since 10/25 when I set and cycled my QT Tank. I got the tang today and acclimated him all day long. Just released him into the 30 gallon QT. Hes about the size of a half dollar. I also went ahead and put a softball sized peice of LR from my sump in the tank. It has some macro on it so Im wondering if he will eat this. How soon should I feed him? I have not turned on the lights and probably wont until tomorrow around noon. Want him to remain calm. Any suggestions on caring for him in a QT tank? I have been in SW for 4 years and have not QT nor added a fish in 3 years. A little out of practice!!
Thanks!

Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
If you drip acclimated it to the cycled QT I'm sure it will be fine. Surprised you got such a small tang though. I prefer them 2 1/2"-3" but you still should be fine. You can try a small 2" x 2" strip of nori but it may not eat for a day or two. If it goes for more then 2 days without nibbling the nori on a clip then I'd also try frozen.

Good luck

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Small?? This dude is big to me!! Well let me restate this. His BODY is half dollar sized and when he spreads his fins, hes really big. Maybe its just me but thats big for a tang in my mind!!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I only acclimate my fish for and hour. I would turn on the lights and let him do his thing. I would go ahead and get him fed.
Props on the QT!!!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I went to turn the light on and its not coming on. I think its the ballast. Anyone have an idea as to where I can get a light kit for a 36" setup? The bulb is new so I know its not this. I have been looking around myself. Let me know if you find one before I do. The one I have is from Oceanic but the date on it is from 1995.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Check out heliolights.com....I think, they might have what you are looking for....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Most fish require a few days to settle into their new surroundings. I would leave the light off for a couple of days and then begin to offer very small amounts of food, and a good variety. Nori, as mentioned, is also a great addition.

On a side note...the purpose of a QT tank is to completely isolate the contents from your main. It is risky to use LR from the main in the QT and then put it back in the main when you are done. When I QT a new fish, I put a filter pad in the sump of main a couple of weeks before hand so it can develop the beneficial bacteria. I use it once in the QT and throw it out after my new arrival has been through a proper QT.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree give him a few day and try to feed him some seaweed selects or nori being that he is a herbivore. I know he seems big but he will get much bigger. Mine is as big as my hand. Yellow tangs are very hardy and yours will be fine.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well the good news is I turned the lights on and put a nori clip in there. He went right for it and is swimming around and checking things out.
Also I failed to mention I got the LR out of the sump when in reality its rubble rock. I have no intention of putting it back in the main. I will get more rubble from the LFS. I have LS in a baggie from the guys tank I bought the tang from as well as a biowheel and a softball size piece of rubble in the tank. Think this is enough for 1 fishs bioload?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just make sure that you do your water checks on your QT. Always have some fresh SW around in case your parameters get out of whack and you need to do a quick PWC. Congrats on the new Pick up.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan, tang, yellow tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com