new zoanthid placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I belive I did. I didnt add anything until my parameters were all good. This morning 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 0 amonia. Ph 8.0

Acording to my lfs 3 weeks after I set up the tank. He tested my water at day one and again 3 weeks later when I added the damsels . Thats when I started testing the water and its been the same reading since.

Acording to my lfs 3 weeks after I set up the tank. He tested my water at day one and again 3 weeks later when I added the damsels . Thats when I started testing the water and its been the same reading since.

Sounds like u may have not even started your cycle to be honest. When u first started the tank, did u add an ammonia source for the cycle to begin?

No I just added 20 lbs of live sand about 15 of live rock. What should I do.

Yeah you haven't even started a cycle I would assume. Well now that u have fish in there, you'll have an ammonia source (food, waste, etc).

If I were you, I'd invest in an API saltwater test kit, test daily. To sum it all up for you. You'll see ammonia rise, same with nitrite and nitrates. Generally you cycle a tank with nothing in it so u won't have to do water changes, just let it do its thing, then do a water change at the end.

Since you have livestock in there, you're gonna have to do a water change when numbers get a little high. After days of repeating this process, your ammonia and nitrite will drop to 0ppm and the only reading that's left is nitrate which you wanna keep below 10ppm in my opinion.

I know this sounds very confusing but hopefully someone else chimes in and lends a helping hand.

I have the test kit. Ill keep testing and see what happens. I looked on line it looks just like diatoms.

I have the test kit. Ill keep testing and see what happens. I looked on line it looks just like diatoms.

Yeah but diatoms usually don't show up until after a cycle is done, or at least that's how all my tanks worked out Lol. Just keep testing and see whats what.

I would put a mushroom or an easy type of anemone.

A definite yes to the mushroom, I would use a regular mushroom coral and wait for a ricordea.

However, unless you like aiptasia and majano there aren't really any anemones that are good to add to the tank at this point in time.

I really like the toadstool corals and the xenias. But I want to wait until I have more experience. What would you guys put in here next if it was you're aquarium. Its a 20 gallon

Pulsing Xenia was my 3rd coral addition to my 20g and I am happy with it. Kenya tree is another great possibility but they do grow very quickly. Others I would suggest are Green star polyp or some leathers.

Was the live rock that you added sold as cured live rock? If so this probably completely skipped the need for a cycle.

Well then there's nothing to worry about with the cycle :) I bought cured live rock, added it to my tank, and 3 days later I added a few fish. Haven't ever had an ammonia / nitrite reading since.

Back
Top Bottom