new zoo rock, released some crap.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marc118

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey I just got this new rock of zoa's and when I was placing it I must have done something and I dont know if it was the zoa's ( dont think its possible ) or just sand or junk from the rock, but it was milky and dissipated very fast. This isnt the palytoxin right? That is on the zoa's themselves and not released...

Im a freak about that kind of stuff :D

I'm no expert but I don't think it is the palytoxin. I have kept different kinds of zoos and never heard of that happening. But I also have some rock that emits a milky-stringy substance into the water every once in a while. It rises and dissipates - just as you said ..

Everyone tells me it is probably a worm of some type, living in the rock and moving about, spitting junk out.

Thats what I though...with all the reading I do on zoo's you would think I would be confident with knowing a thing or two...always good to have second opinions.

Lindsay knows how crazy I am about dying from zoo's! HAHAHAHA...

Thanks.

I have seen zoos send out that type of substance. I always assumed it was the toxin. It has never bothered me though. I try to wear gloves when working with zoos though.

I'm with ellisz on this one too. I've noticed it a couple times on a colony of zoas when I'm trying to get it positioned "just right." I've also assumed it's something bad, and assumed the zoanthid was telling me it was done playing, so I listened to it. I also use gloves whenever handling.

I've had the same colony do it to me three times, with no ill effects on it or any other inhabitants.

Oh gees, now Marc is going to get rid of all of his zoos. :p

I've never seen any of my zoos giving off the white stuff, and I have really knocked em around a few times. Marc, good thing you go those gloves.

I know huh! I got 2 pairs!!!

Im not getting rid of them....they look toooooo good. I just bought like 7 frags...hahaha

Here they are ... got em from a trade.

img_790010_0_fe034420e79a3d472ea85925318226de.jpg

That is a nice piece! I have some just like it. Most of the LFSs that I go to don't have very colorful zoos so I'm going to resort to the internet....where are you located Marc and where are you getting yours from???

Im in cali :p I get most of my from people off RC with LE zoa's. But I think I am going to try to order some this weekend just to see how it works out.

Start a new thread if you don't mind I would love to hear the results and where you get them from. I've gotten 2 live corals off ebay and both are doing very well but they were very close to me, maybe 200miles or so. I just hate to spend that kind of money and end up with a blob of goo in a bag. LE Zoas? I'm not familiar. PM me a link if you get a chance. Thanks...I'm always looking for those hard to find zoos....

I think LE means Limited Edition, but I could be wrong. :) I'd like to see some links as well. I have a username at RC but never use it. Maybe I should start kissing up to the zoo seller. :p

I'm on RC once in a while too...mostly to ogle the giant tank section...BTW I have a nice little acro frag for you Linds....We are going to have to get together at some point...

Back
Top Bottom