Newb finally coming out from lurking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennyLynn9579

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I have been lurking on here for about 3 weeks now, learning TONS from you guys! I acquired an established 40 gallon reef tank with a 20G sump/refugium on July 3rd, has the following goodies: Euro skimmer, fluval heater, 2 Koralia powerheads, Nova Extreme Pro T5 HO 36" 6x39w lights, MarineLand single bright LED whites and moons. 50 lbs live rock divided between sump and DT, 25-30 lbs live sand. Livestock: pair of mated Ocellaris clowns, pair of blue-green Damsels, orange firefish, big fireshrimp, various CUC (hermits, snails, tiny stars, etc). Corals: 5x4 in green frogspawn (clowns don't leave it!), rose tip anemone (clowns don't pay it any attention whatsoever!), various leathers, red mushroom, blue mushrooms, sun polyps, pulsing xenia, green star polyp.

Water tests have been pretty optimal, ammonia-0, nitrites-0, nitrates 0-5, pH 8.0-8.4, alk low-normal 1.5-2.3 (estimate based on color), specific gravity- 1.023-1.025, temp 79-80.

Everything is going relatively smoothly for this being my first tank, bought from a lady on CL who had 4 tanks going and wanted to cut back (other tanks were exquisite!). Have had the typical newbie issues, getting powerheads aimed right (multiple sandstorms and a very irritated anemone), couple aiptasia's popping up (X'ed them immediately, peppermint shrimp to be delivered Thursday), and general grossing out from my first glimpse of a bristleworm.

I do have a couple minor questions:
1) when I was setting up after transporting the tank from an hour away, I was very stressed and anxious, didn't devote the proper time to arranging my live rock the way I should have, and I ended up with more in my sump than I would prefer. At this point, I am wanting to move some of it up to the DT to allow for corals and for hiding places, am I correct in assuming it's not an issue? It's the same water, organisms, parameters, etc, so I'd compare it to moving rock from one end of the tank to the other.

2) I have a livestock delivery coming Thursday, a Yellow watchman Goby, Flame Angel, 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 emerald crabs and 3 zoo frags. I don't plan to add more than MAYBE one more fish to the tank in the future, but not for quite awhile. At this point, am I overstocked?

Any comments, suggestions, etc would be appreciated, you guys are a wealth of information!! Thanks!!

sure you can move the rock from the sump to the DT if you want without any problems

Hello and welcome aboard, Are you goin to QT the new fish? IMO your very close to bein over stocked just do a weekly PWC and you'll be fine Congratz on your new tank

I do plan to QT for sure, not looking to become a horror story. I do PWCs weekly, plus I'm topping off with fresh distilled water, probably 3-4 gallons throughout the week to account for evaporation. Still testing about every other day to keep an eye on parameters.

:) I qt every thing lol I've had my horror story only thing i can think of is start a journal it will help you in the long run as you can look back and see what when things were done.
You can cut back on testing i test once a month unless i've added something then i test every few days The sun polyps need to be spot fed there the toughest thing you have as far as care go's Good luck.

Well I have the filter for the QT tank running on my sump to get it ready (as I read in the QT tank guide) and this morning my gsp didn't look as happy, took a while for it to fluff up. I did the testing and got the following:
Ph:8.0
Ammonia:0
Trites:0
Trates: 20
SG: 1.024

Normal? I was going to run the filter until it was time to move over to the qt tank tomorrow, and use DT water to fill it... Planning to get about 15-20 gal of distilled water today, gotta get an RO/DI soon, the lugging water thing is getting old!

trates are a bit high every else thing looks good My GSP is the same way if my trates git to 15-20 ppm it wont open. as soon as i see it slow i start to test lol and maby a 50/50 mix of new SW and DT water in the qt just to get those trates lower Remember it's ok to do PWC's in the QT

Yeah he's much happier now, I changed some water and it's down between 10-15 now, and he's much fuller today. I got my livestock this morning, been acclimating in individual containers with drip lines, will move to the qt tonight. Moved some LR up from the sump, found some awesome goodies in there, a zoo frag I mustve missed, and a handful of purple mushrooms! Water tests this morning:
Ph: 8.2
Trates: 10-15
Trites: 0!!!
Ammonia: 0
Alk: normal range
SG: 1.023

Moving right along :)

Back
Top Bottom