The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billybloo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All!
First attempt at a SW tank. Here's my setup:

Biocube 32
Caribe sand live sand
At least 55 lbs of live rock
rubble rock and poly for bio filter
API Master Test kit
10 hermit crabs
2 turbo snails
Tried to put a damsel in a couple of days ago and it turned grey and died though my test came out pretty well. My plan is to not add anything for another 3 weeks or so. I'm taking a water sample to my LFS today as I understand the test kits they sell are not as accurate as they have at the LFS. I have many questions and am excited about my first attempt. Cycling now for 9 days. Pic attached.

Attachments

• tank0426.jpg
    tank0426.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 113
How are you cycling the tank? The damsel likely died from the ammonia levels in the system, even though they are usually pretty hardy.
I would suggest getting a cocktail shrimp and throwing it into some old pantyhose to cycle the tank.
The api tests should be just fine in accuracy to cycle the system.

Ammonia

Well i used the API test kit and the ammonia level read zero..so on the chance that the test was incorrect, I'm taking a sample in tonight.

Well i used the API test kit and the ammonia level read zero..so on the chance that the test was incorrect, I'm taking a sample in tonight.

Was the ‘live’ rock you bought submerged in saltwater at the store? If so I would ask your LFS if the rock they sell is fully cured live rock. If that is the case, IMO, you should not have to add an ammonia source (cycle) to the tank since all the term ‘live’ rock means is it has been through a cycle and already has beneficial bacteria colonized on it. That said, I would still advise waiting to add any livestock for 2-3 weeks just to make sure any die off from getting the rock home and into your tank, is able to cycle through thoroughly and then testing for ammonia & nitrite before you get fish just to make sure

Ammonia

As it turns out my ammonia did spike. It must've spiked the day after I tested the water. I took a sample in to my LFS and they read (using the same test kit) a high level of ammonia. I then went home and tested again and my results matched the LFS. I'm going to start testing every other day just to keep track as I am in no rush to add anything for at least another month. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom