Newbie! Need help with algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theodo155

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon tank. Started about 5 weeks ago. I have used only RO water. I have 80 lbs. of cured LR in tank. My ammonia, nitrate, ph and nitrite are all O. I am using 2-301 powerheads for circulation and getting some circulation from my magnum 350 and also my protein skimmer. My lights are 2-10,000 CF 55 watt each and 2-actinic 55 watt CF on the tank 12 hours a day. My salinity 1.022 and my water temp is 78 degrees F.

My question is I am seeing some green algae on my LR and crush coral. Some on the glass also and I have some fish in QT that are about ready to be put in the tank. Is this just a phase my tank is going thru or should I be concerned. I have not done any water changes, should I? What about crabs or something else to help with maintenance? This is a mostly fish set up but I would like some corals. Please help.

Sounds like normal 'break in' for a new tank. . .

How long have you been testing the water parameters?
Where did you get the LR from? lfs or shipped?
Is there anything in the tank besides the LR?
What are you using for filtration?

Do you have any kind of clean up crew yet (e.g. snails or hermit crabs)?

Been testing about every 3-4 days since day one.
Got my LR from a local wholesaler that was in a 3000 gallon tank for about 2-3 months.
Nothing but LR.
No clean up crew.

Looks like it's time to add a clean up crew. Some snails should help.

Some snail info I've gathered. . .
Astrea Snail-most common of all saltwater tank snails. They are excellent algae eaters and will forage all over the rock, sand, and glass. These guys fall very easily and can not right themselves up and die easily.

Banded Trochus Snail - Large snails that are excellent algae eaters although are very slow about it. These guys have a hard time picking themselves up as well if stranded in the middle of the sand.

Bumblebee snails- Not very hardy. Marginal algae eaters, but more of a detritus grazer. They can prey on other snails and sand bed critters.

Cerith Snails (Cortez) - Good algae and detritus eaters that forage rock, glass, and sand.

Cerith Snails (White)- Good algae and detritus eaters that seem to stay in the sand more than the cortez, but can be found on the rock and glass. These guys are good sand bed snails to shift the substrate around.

Fighting Conch These guys are all about the sand bed and are very cool to watch. They usually dont get flipped over, but if they do, they can kick around and turn themselves back upright.They very hardy too.

Mexican Turbo Snails - super fast grazer that will knock out some algae in no time. They mostly stay on rocks and glass, but will work the top of the sandbed too. I think these are cold water snails that dont do so well in a reef.

Nassarius Snails - They mostly stay in the sand, but will sometimes make short trips up the glass. They are mainly detritus eaters and do an excellent job cleaning and shifting the sand. I think these are also some of the most hardy snails out there. These guys can flip themselves upright very easily and quickly.

Nerite Snails - Mostly a rock and glass snail that are all about the algae. The dont move very fast but the areas they have been in are clean as a bell. These guys like to crawl outta the water some, but i have never found one that "jumped ship." These are great snails, but also have trouble turning themselves back over.

Stomatella Snails - my They are supposed to reproduce very well.

Strombus Snails (Strombus maculatus (sp?))these are excellent snails that reproduce very well. They seem to be mostly sandbed snails and will occasionally make there way up to about the 1-3 inch line of my rock work.

And a great site it is :D
Sorry for not giving you your due. I had this info in a text file on my system with no attribution. I'll add it now.

Back
Top Bottom