newbie skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdoc

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had my 55g FOLAR tank up and runnig for 1week. I am using a Pro Proclear 75 sump/skimmer combo. The skimmer is making plenty of microbubbles and in the collection cup I just have yellowish water that runs off into the sump. When am I to start getting the good Gunk that I throw out? The tank is cycling now with LR 50lbs and LS 40lbs.
Thanks

Many recomend not to run the skimmer on a new tank for the first 6-8 weeks. Basically the skimmer is removing disloved organics from the water. Without fish or feeding there will not be much for some time.

What do you do with the waste fluid that runs off of the collection cup? Does it go back into the tank and if not how much should be removed each day? Now with the skimmer on I could easily fill a 2g milk jug daily.
Thanks for the help :lol:

Like afilter said dont run your skimmer yet because you dont have any DOC yet. Dont put fluid back in tank

Thanks, but how much water should be wasted daily. Like I said the skimmer when on drains almost 2G/d.

1. you dump the junk in the collection cup down the drain, not back into the sump

2. you're running the skimmer too hard. the collection cup should fill with dark, coffee colored liquid. because your tank is empty, you don't have anything worth skimming.

Raise the collection cup a good half inch, but don't expect to get consistent skimming for a month or more.

SO it should not always bubble over the top only when there is DOC. Thanks when I restart the skimmer I will turn down the air inflow. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom