Newbie to salt water trying to convert from fresh to salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jj49er

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello there I'm new to this I currently have a fresh water 100gal tank. I am almost done getting all the equiptment but, I have a question what kind of powerhead n how many do I need, I've been looking at a hydor korolia is that a good brand... I seen some on craiglist but not sure if it would be enough a hydor korolia 3 n a 4 would those two be big enough of what fog do I need?

They would be fine to start out with, when you start adding coral later on you will want to add either more, or more powerful powerheads. But for now all you need is enough flow to keep the water moving enough to keep it from accumulating on the sandbed so your filtration can suck it up.
Do you have any live rock? Or a protein skimmer? Those are two items that are kinda costly that I'd be looking into, the live rock first then a skimmer later. Also what type of filter are you running?

Ok thank u... So would it be better to get 1400gph power heads now or wait on it n get less power ones

Just FYI, recommended flow for a reef tank is 30-50 times turnover. For a 100g tank this means 3,000-5,000gph.

Back
Top Bottom