Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Instant Ocean Seaclone Protein Skimmer - 100 so I won't need the other filter, that's good. So to my understanding, it's 1lb to 1 gal of live rock to tank size. Do in my case that's 40lbs of live rock. So does that interfere with the amount of fish I can have???

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboyrav View Post
Instant Ocean Seaclone Protein Skimmer - 100 so I won't need the other filter, that's good. So to my understanding, it's 1lb to 1 gal of live rock to tank size. Do in my case that's 40lbs of live rock. So does that interfere with the amount of fish I can have???
For a reef tank you may want to be closer to 2-3lbs/gal. Obviously the more rock you have the less room for fish. But you want the biological filtration.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post

For a reef tank you may want to be closer to 2-3lbs/gal. Obviously the more rock you have the less room for fish. But you want the biological filtration.
Actually 1lb per gallon is usually more than enough to take care of biofiltration in moderately stocked reef tank. So will prefer more simply for aquascapes. If you maintain 0 ammonia and nitrite then you have all the live rock you need for that bioload.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

Actually 1lb per gallon is usually more than enough to take care of biofiltration in moderately stocked reef tank. So will prefer more simply for aquascapes. If you maintain 0 ammonia and nitrite then you have all the live rock you need for that bioload.
Yeah after thinking more on it i was planning on editing my post. 3lbs is excessive. But is 1lb enough for a smaller tank?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Also wondering if 2 Aqueon Circulation Pump - 500 gph be ok or would I only need 1??
Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Also wondering if 2 Aqueon Circulation Pump - 500 gph be ok or would I only need 1??
even with two 500 I think it's low if you want corals. That's just my opinion I guess. But the flow you are looking at seems like more of that or a FOWLR system.
I've been told to add up your gph from power heads and then divide it by the # of gallons. For soft corals you want to have your ending number in the thirties. Example: I have a 75 gallon with two 1400 gph power heads. 1400 x 2 =2800; 2800/75= ~37.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
30-50x turnover rate (flow) is recommended for reef tanks. 45gx30=1350 45gx50= 2250 so you need a total of between 1,350-2,250gph of flow, the higher end is more preferred as more flow actually aids in filtration and everything else vital to a reef. Dead spots have to be eliminated.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post

Yeah after thinking more on it i was planning on editing my post. 3lbs is excessive. But is 1lb enough for a smaller tank?
1lb should be enough for any tank. If you had an excessively large bioload you may need more but you shouldnt have an excessively large bioload to begin with. Also sand helps in biofitration along with the rock. In my 9 years experience, no reason really to ever need more than 1-1.5lb per gallon even less depending on the rock type and how much surface area it has.

Tags
newbie, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com