Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Newbie to the forum

(Posted this to wrong section the first time)

I've had saltwater tanks for about 25 years (minus the past 7), and it seems like a lot has changed. Never heard of the fishless tank cycle before reading this forum. Cycling for me has always taking months, and my preparation of the tank before fish is a few days to a week. I know I'm fixin to get bashed here, but;
I always start with a live rock in a dark tank with no light for days.
Add damsels and monitor chemicals
partial water changes to balance toxins
after 4 to 6 months no more water changes ever, just top off due to evaporation.
I also use undergravel filter, that seems to have lost favor as well. I understand about the trapped material in the substrate. I use 1/2 sized undergravel filter seperated in the middle (currently a 10gal in a 36 gal tank), and alternate sides with the powerhead.
Only time I can remember losing a fish, is when I added an aggressive fish to the tank. That's my old school method;
With that said, we hope to get a much larger tank next spring (46 gal is smallest I've ever had), and I think I'm gona try the fishless cycle on it. I'll try any thing once, twice if i like it

greatgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

how were you keeping nitrates under control after the 4 to 6 months with no more water changes? Were you testing for nitrates at this time? Sounds like starting up a new tank will be a very new experience for you. Good luck and welcome

Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
how were you keeping nitrates under control after the 4 to 6 months with no more water changes? Were you testing for nitrates at this time? Sounds like starting up a new tank will be a very new experience for you. Good luck and welcome
My last tank was 125 gal. I think it's the topping off from evaporation that kept my nitrates low. not sure how it will go with a third the size tank. It seemed the large tank evaporated quickly and left a nice crusty salt ring behind. I would scrape the salt back into the water when topping off and it would do a nice job of retaining salinity. It seems like it would drop about 2 " a month, not sure about that...memory is a little fuzzy in my old age
I had a lionfish in there for about 4 years as the only resident.
And yes, the water was tested often.
P.S. Thank You
greatgrief is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com